solar screens

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The technical name of that material is called Phifer Sheerweave. You can get it on a roll from quite a few sources. I have bought it from a company called Castec. They are a blind mfg. I made a bunch of them into skylight shades for a customer with plexi skylights. Put a pocket in each end, and used tension rods to keep them in place. Worked well. There are numerous color combo's of the the stuff. You can get the solid colored ones, or the 2 color ones. Some of them can look pretty nice. They are made out of fiberglass, so won't rust like metal or fall apart like fabric. I wouldn't want them on my house, as they block out alot of light. The lighter colored ones aren't so bad, they cut less light, but I doubt they'd look good with red brick. When looking thru them doubled up against a regular screen, you'll end up with a moire effect, to where the light is bouncing off in different directions, making it difficult to look out, same thing happens when it rains, as someone already said. So, you might save yourself some installation hassle and pull your regular screens out before you put these up. Forgive me if this is an old post. Didn't check the orginal date. Also the light colored ones don't help as much with the glare, but I am sure you knew that.

just went to lowes and got the pfizer solar screen and some aluminum frame and end pieces, got the frame to fit perfect, BUT..roping in the thick aZZ fiberglass stuff is hard, alot harder than just regular screen like a camper shell has, when you rope this stuff in it pulls the side of the frame inwards, kinda bows it in on the sides, I roped the stuff in on the driveway mabey I need to rope it in while its on the window :shoot2 ahh the tricks of the trade, anybody got a good screen putter inner message board :cool

I got 2 screens up now, man what a difference, before the glass and framework were scalding hot to the touch, now they are just cool not even warm, I think I`m going to like this stuff ALOT I got 1 more to do tomorrow on a small window.

I used to make screens for a glass shop I used to work for, so I feel your pain, it sucks when you rope them in and they get too tight, man it was so tricky, I hated making them. Usually we were making entirely new screens for houses and they had to be an exact size, we cut the frames from stock amd the whole bit, by the time I was done, my hands were black from the aluminium. Man, if I ever make another screen it will be too soon :rollin

they still pulled in from the sides some when I roped them in, screw it its the best I can do :rollin I cut the frames perfectly, they just snap right in, thats with the material off with the material on its noticeable thay are pulled in slightly, I can live with it though. here are the 2 I put up today, got the little one tomorrow, its really pretty easy to do.

solarshade2.jpg

Guest Braud Spectrum
just went to lowes and got the pfizer solar screen and some aluminum frame and end pieces, got the frame to fit perfect, BUT..roping in the thick aZZ fiberglass stuff is hard, alot harder than just regular screen like a camper shell has, when you rope this stuff in it pulls the side of the frame inwards, kinda bows it in on the sides, I roped the stuff in on the driveway mabey I need to rope it in while its on the window :spit ahh the tricks of the trade, anybody got a good screen putter inner message board :rollin

:spit Can't find you a screen putter inner message board MDog, but here's some Do it yourself instructions. :mrgreen:

I read um... 'cause I know you guys wait until you screw up...uh...I mean finish a project....before reading directions to see what went wrong. rolleyes.gif... Did you roll the screen first ?

ahhhhh they have a bar across the middle to keep it straight, that stuff is almost identical to the stuff I got at lowes. the bar across the middle is the trick.

thats even the same material I got at lowes, lowes was alot cheeper than them though :spit

but seeing that bar across the middle helps bs :rollin

Archived