What kind of service do u get from your film rep and mannys

I've been tinting for over 25 years back in the 80's 90's and early 2000's it seems to me the manny and reps  would bend over backwards for  your biz. now days it seems like they don't even come around anymore.  Before it was like here is  a new tool banner or Shirt or call to see how you are doing. I guess what im trying to say is the level of personal service has faded away with the big box mannys.   :thumb  Thanks

Unless you live near a distribution center, I doubt you will get too many visitations.  I live in the middle of the mountains and I see a rep once every ten years or so.  I know if I need anything they are only a phone call away though. 

I've been tinting for over 25 years back in the 80's 90's and early 2000's it seems to me the manny and reps  would bend over backwards for  your biz. now days it seems like they don't even come around anymore.  Before it was like here is  a new tool banner or Shirt or call to see how you are doing. I guess what im trying to say is the level of personal service has faded away with the big box mannys.   :thumb  Thanks

Hey Adtintva,

Because of a lack of competition between the mannys, and the non existance of "reboxing" film, you might find that the margins that the mannys were making back in the day, were much higher which allowed for your supplier to hold events, have full time sales reps, freebies, etc..

With the introduction of manufacturing plants based in Korea for example, this has flooded the world market with inexpensive (inferior) product, and many of the US based plants have had to find ways to reduce their running costs and hold their market share..

Some have gone for sourcing less expensive adhesives..

Some have gone for less expensive liners..

Some are selling film to your local hardware store..

Some have developed cheaper and faster ways to manufacture film..

And some are not using the services of sales representitives.

I am 100% convinced that a supplier should be just that. And they have the networking capabilities to help you get what you actually need to stay in business... Work.

I would imagine that $20,000 worth of local leads each year is much better than a christmas card and a chizler?

Sadly it's become too expensive for these distributors to do it GT....so I have been told when I questioned it.

But then again, one smart mob thinking outside the film box could capture a market going for the begging.

There is way too much sitting on arses hoping that film orders will simply roll in because that's how it's been in the past and always will be. :phone 
Devil

Hey adtint.

I get a great service, it actually got me going.....

But would you be prepared to jump from one of the big mannys to a "reboxer" because they don't have that service anymore? My supplier isn't that, but I can understand people not being happy with the level of service but thinking their still better off with a big name due to the product quality.....

People are getting good at film though, I can't imagine how many suppliers will be trying to get your work in the future with this movement of people wanting to distribute.....

I will say that my distributor, Richard at Solar Control in St Louis, has became an amazing friend.  I know that if I need ANYTHING he will be there.  I also know that he will go beyond the call of his "job" and take orders to a UPS shipper after his normal pick up just to be sure a late order gets out that same day.  He has given shirts, tools, film, and, one of my favorites, will provide lunch when we make a trip over to visit there...

One thing I really love is that he keeps up to date on information and is not afraid to share what he knows about anything.  He is not one to give the old "no one else is having that problem"...

Brian Banglan, works for ASWF now, took me out for dinner when he met me over in St Charles, MO last year...not trying to really sell, just wanted to talk about film and the industry.  I have since bought film, again, from ASWF because of that connection though and have called him with questions a few times.

But then again, one smart mob thinking outside the film box could capture a market going for the begging.

There is way too much sitting on arses hoping that film orders will simply roll in because that's how it's been in the past and always will be. :phone 

Agreed 110%. For some - it's probably not a big deal that reps aren't really seen much... on call perhaps, but not much more then that. And whatever...  I have always seen value in reps that are very active with their dealers. If they put forth the effort to help dealers grow, it only adds to their bottom line as well. It's win-win... but perhaps for reasons stated here, not very common.

There are a couple reps out there that I'd love to have... but unfortunately, way out of my area. 

Archived