Tinting a windshield

just a note on heating up windshields.   I was doing a strip on a replaced windshield at a glass shop.  Using the old glass on a rack to cut the film I got an idea to see how hot I could get the glass before it fractured or had any failure.  So, after I had installed the strip on the new windshield I proceeded to heat up the old, already cracked glass.  I heated it up a bit more than I thought I should and NOTHING....so I heated it up more and still NOTHING....finally I put my Wagner HT-1100 heat gun down to about a 1/2 inch from the glass on high and held it as far away as I could stretch my arm, anticipating the glass to explode, and began to hammer it with heat.   After a good 30 to 45 seconds I quit.....NOTHING at all happened to the glass. 

Now I would not have wanted to get any water on it as I am certain it would have rapidly cooled it and caused a problem but just straight heat and NO A THING happened a windshield.....

And yet once, years ago now, I was doing a visor strip on a brand new Kia Rio for a dealer. About 4 seconds of heat to sit down something (wasn't even enough heat to even feel warm on the inside) and the glass cracked from the top edge under the gasket. I suspect a faulty piece of lam glass, but it still cost me. :dunno

Just the risk we take every day.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for vehicles that many of us don't remove mirrors on, such as ford. Do any of you tint these without removing the mirror? Maybe doing the same cutout for pop out latches that can't be removed, so the film can go around the mirror mount??

I get a lot of requests for these, but I'm not sure if I'll do any without the mirror being removed.

I do the fords with mirror in place. I will place a piece of liner over the button on outside and cut it out. Leave the piece there and get an impression rub when carding the film down. Cut it out and slide around

Well I won't get to it this week after all it will be the week after. So I'll still post how it went it's just gonna be a little longer than I thought. Do I still make the same H pattern as normal?

Archived