How long does it take you, really?

Ok, very controversial topic here. I'm kind of tired of reading posts by those claiming to tint full cars in 45, 30, 15 minutes. Not saying it can't be done, not bashing those who can, just curious of a general concensus of those who do it all, start to finish, prep and all, and turn out quality work with no daylight or specs that can't be touched up. How long is an honest average of what it takes you?

My average for a full car I allow 3-4 hours, of course I take all the calls, talk to all the walk-ins, and do have to occasionally do a window twice or pull out a whisker.

I did a new Sonata yesterday, did not pull the deck, did not cut around the brake light, but did pull the seals because the roll downs are tight on those. Cleaned, prepped, did all my own cuts, heated, touched up and looks great in 2.5 hours. Had a couple phone calls worth 10 minutes but otherwise did not stop. An Optima I can do in 2 if all goes smooth, because of easier seals, but that's on a perfect day. That's me, and I do not have customers bringing stuff back to fix. I've got a couple good friends who also own reputable shops, and also turn out practically flawless work, and their time frames are the same as mine.

So, am I slow, are some lying, or is the 30 minute job with Precuts and 2 or 3 guys?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guess it depends on the car...A production shop is way different then a layed back shop. Sounds like you have not found your speed level or been around those who do. Nothing wrong with that. Pump the quality that's really all that matters!

for me, 2 to 2.5hrs.  at pace, not hustling... however, I do cut my doors first, then install the whole side.  Unlike others, that cut a door, then install and repeat... I am not comfortable yet double cutting, but practicing. 

I estimate 10-14 minutes per door, done right not hustling.

With no interruption I am about an hour and a half average. I have two other installers that are about 1 and a 1/2 to 2 hours average. Thats not rushing but not lolly gagging either. Obviously some cars can take longer. When I was working in Vegas at a shop that did 30 plus cars a day, I would make sure I did 6 a day. Doing that day in and day out can drain you.

I've worked with these 2 other installers. We help each other out here and there. But I've never been around a shop with more than 2 of us. I've been installing on the side for about 16 years and doing it full time for about 2. Granted, someone who has been doing cars for 40 hours a week for several years would be faster. But I can't see even just prepping 7 windows in under 30 mins :lol

I'm mainly curious of the average installation speed of one man doing it all, large shop or not. (And turning clean work) To level the playing field for those who use plotters, it takes me about 25-30 minutes to cut 6 side windows and the back. Average of 10 minutes to dry shrink and wet check. That's still less than 30 minutes saved by a plotter, and 10 minutes is reasonable to form a back window, IMO.

When you say "full car"...

Does that always mean 7 windows? (4 roll-ups, 2 quarter, 1 back)

Thanks.

Yeah, seems like they all got quarters these days. And more and more with fronts quarters too. A new Civic will take me 3-3.5 on a good day.

I've got a 98 Aurora to do tomorrow, no quarters on that one!

Average for a full car I usually take 1.5-2hrs.  I usually tell my customers 2-3 hours and that gives me wiggle room if I have to redo a window.  Also gives time for car to sit a little while before they take off just in case a finger pops up. 

^ yeah definitely :thumb

I also like to let em sit awhile and look it over. I almost always find a little something to push out, no matter how long I spent touching up.

By the way I do blue max all the roll downs so it's usually practically cured by the time it sits a few. I know some just yellow turbo it and call it good, but that works too.

It takes me about three hours from key to key i like to say. That's by myself double cutting and for some reason or another usually having to redo one. That also includes a sunstrip on the windshield. I did finish an optima the other day in two with one quarter window redo. I was stoked about that. I'm pretty sure i will never be one of those guys that does a car in less than an hour, but I'm pretty sure i don't want to be either.

Archived