I believe this was an issue with the precut headlight kits that were sold awhile ago. From memory these were made using a different product and available for people off the shelf.

If you use the actual PPF (same used for bonnets, bumpers etc) then it should not be an issue. Actually just did a set with Xpel Ultimate yesterday and they look great.

Some of the experts on here should be able to give some insight though....

I suggest doing headlights for all my customers EXCEPT the new body style 911's.  The hard coating on those headlights doesn't seem to be very well bonded to the cars, and looks like it was trying to peel on the one or two I did when they came out.  Anyone else have this issue?

I am an advocate of upselling the headlights. Haven't seen PPF ruin HL since i've been around, but that's only be about 3 1/2 years. I'm sure your old farts can give better feedback based on their history in the game. Technology has gotten better so what happened years ago has changed within the last 3-5 years.

We do headlights and fog lights all the time. We either up sell the customer on them or toss them in if they are getting a lot of other work done at the same time. XPEL's DAP patterns work great. Only had a few I had to trim after installed as most fit perfectly.

Our headlight patterns are designed for our 30 mil headlight film (developed back when hl's were made of glass), so some of the lights with more compound curves will have to be trimmed if using 8 mil.  It's usually an easy upsell, as people are all too familiar with hazy headlights.

As a customer, when i was getting ppf installed, the installer had tried to put precut film on my forester, but they had a hard time to put the film on my headlight because the film didn't stick to my headlight at all, so we gave it up because the shape of my headlights were too complicated.

As a customer, when i was getting ppf installed, the installer had tried to put precut film on my forester, but they had a hard time to put the film on my headlight because the film didn't stick to my headlight at all, so we gave it up because the shape of my headlights were too complicated.

Looking at the pattern for a forester it looks like its only made to cover the front part of that headlight unit. Yours has that indentation area which would constitute not doing the whole thing I am sure. Only need the forward facing protected and headlights do a wonderful job of hiding edges so it still looks good. If you come visit me in Jan for the Opti-Coat I would like to give those a try if your still wanting to get them done. No idea about it not sticking, never been an issue on any lights I have done.

Archived