2015 charger

jayson3st

On 10/10/2017 at 6:13 PM, shadytints said:

no more problems with peanuts.  I use probond on the grid and frit and sticks with no issues.  strong cleaner degreaser to clean and start car, turn on defrost to heat grid before you hang if you do not have probond.  rapid tac 2 if you get peanuts,  peel back a bit and spray straight.  stuff dries quick.

How do you apply the probond during install? Do you peel back film or spray it before film install only around frit and regular slip on the rest of glass?

11 hours ago, Tint Slayer said:

How do you apply the probond during install? Do you peel back film or spray it before film install only around frit and regular slip on the rest of glass?

clean the window with white scrubby and squeegee dry.  wet a corner of a cloth with pro-bond and wipe the grid and frit.   pro-bond flashes quick,  re-wet cloth 2 to 4 times depending on BG.  I also have rapid tac 2,  peanut pops up, peel back and spray full strength and squeegee quick.

tons of data on peanuts,  stronger cleaner/degreaser prepping seems to be key.  now i can go back to torching chargers in 2 min and 300's in 40 sec with out headaches.

10 hours ago, shadytints said:

clean the window with white scrubby and squeegee dry.  wet a corner of a cloth with pro-bond and wipe the grid and frit.   pro-bond flashes quick,  re-wet cloth 2 to 4 times depending on BG.  I also have rapid tac 2,  peanut pops up, peel back and spray full strength and squeegee quick.

tons of data on peanuts,  stronger cleaner/degreaser prepping seems to be key.  now i can go back to torching chargers in 2 min and 300's in 40 sec with out headaches.

Have you tried just the Rapid Tac 2 as the slip solution alone? Was just reading about it so i really don't know, but it seems like if it would resolve defroster and frit issues, why not use it as the slip alone?

2 hours ago, Tint Slayer said:

Have you tried just the Rapid Tac 2 as the slip solution alone? Was just reading about it so i really don't know, but it seems like if it would resolve defroster and frit issues, why not use it as the slip alone?

stuck before I could squeegee it out.

29 minutes ago, shadytints said:

stuck before I could squeegee it out.

Have you tried the Rapid Tac (not Rapid Tac 2), the Rapid Tac 2 is supposed to adhere in like 90 seconds or at least twice as fast as regular Rapid Tac. I called the number on their website, they're sending me out samples of all their products. Gonna check them out.

Guy also said for window film you can dilute it a ratio that's 15-20% of water

Edited by Tint Slayer

1 minute ago, Tint Slayer said:

Have you tried the Rapid Tac (not Rapid Tac 2), the Rapid Tac 2 is supposed to adhere in like 90 seconds or at least twice as fast as regular Rapid Tac. I called the number on their website, they're sending me out samples of all their products. Gonna check them out.

never tried it.  was happy to just have a cure.  could dilute it if needed or I have added some to slip before I used ultra-bond for slip.  good for michigan winters for fast cure.

I have 30 new Chargers to tint for the PD and did one yesterday. Still having small pop ups on the rear glass after carefully shrinking and back blading the defrosters. Thought I had this issue resolved back before my "vacation" but NO! What a PITB! :eyetwitch I have 5 more to do this week plus all the other work I scheduled three weeks ago for this week. Mumble grumble.........

1 hour ago, TNTLady said:

I have 30 new Chargers to tint for the PD and did one yesterday. Still having small pop ups on the rear glass after carefully shrinking and back blading the defrosters. Thought I had this issue resolved back before my "vacation" but NO! What a PITB! :eyetwitch I have 5 more to do this week plus all the other work I scheduled three weeks ago for this week. Mumble grumble.........

only thing more I can suggest is, up the steel wool to 000 and really pay attention to the way the film shrinks.  If you are dry shrinking, try lightly rubbing the prepped surface with a paper towel just before you lay your film on to shrink.  This helps me when the dryer sheet layer is "" acting funny "" and not letting the film tack down properly.  

Good luck and good on ya for having this much work. :thumb   

I had a bit of an adventure with one of these at a local dealership. One came in twith the rear glass tinted but had a chip in it where customer had thrown something against it. Dealership doesn't want to pay me to strip so has detail do it. Guys be very careful with steel wool on these bg. Detail used a steel wool coarser than #0000 and it left noticeable scratches in the glass so they had to replace. Interestingly the dealer was surprised that this glass is "sourced from an outside supplier" and does not come from usual supply chains. New "OEM" glass came in and when you can look at the lines dead on outside of the car with inside of glass face up they look like something a child made using crayons. They go from wide to thin ito wide with rough edges.

I combined several techniques to tint these without peanuts. 

1. Cleaned with #0000 steel wool 

2. Wiped defroster lines with dot devil. 

3. Sanded top matrix with 1500 sand paper. 

4. Placed small ceramic heater on top of box in back seat of car. (Explained further below.)

5. Shrunk film using Ryker method with heat guns turned down to 500 degrees.

6. Tint and no peanuts! 

So a couple of things. Just like Bham mentioned steel wool IS ESSENTIAL. Another key step is lower temp heat. I have left either of these  steps out of this process and it is not as guaranteed. The heater idea I got from another local tinter. I put the heater in the car and shut the doors and then wait until the bg is warm to touch before I shrink and then put it back in the car for a while when i finish to help speed up drying. These defroster lines are such that they suck water into them like a straw and the quicker you get tack up the better.

Hope some of these steps help you guys get these done with less headaches.