Llumar... denied a non territorial product after years of loyalty?????

Curious to hear opinions on an issue I have..... I've been a window Tanner for 18 years and not to sound cocky but I'm extremely good at what I do....for the most part of the past ten years I worked at a shop outside of Atlanta with one of the best tinters in the world, a 2 time iwfa automotive winner and reigning iwfa flat glass winner at the annual iwfa tint off / competition ( the most recognized competition I'm the industry), and recently parted ways with the shop I poured my life into and worked my fingers to the bone for, after a heated argument with an insatiable owner. Long story short, 2 alpha ego's ( both with unquestionable skills) that seem to butt heads to the point of being miserable in each others presence, sorta like Shaq and Kobe :).... We were Llumar dealers and Llumar guys to the bone, loyally using the product and Nothing else,EVER. In fact since 2002 I've use only Llumar ,and any shop I worked for it was mandatory an account be set up to order Llumar or I wouldn't work there.... With that being said, after being let go , along with the work i was doing at my house, I was made an offer I couldn't turn down at a local shop that's been around over 25 years, about 20 minutes from my old workplace in not only a different town but a DIFFERENT COUNTY, and when I tried to order Llumar, the only film I've installed for over a decade, I was denied by the rep for this area, citing that it was in close proximity to an existing loyal customer (my old boss crying and being a Lil girl and pitching a fit for me not to be able to attain it, I've seen him do it before with others who tried to get it), after pleasing my case and practically begging,....I mean am I in the wrong for saying that this is BULLSHIT?, YEAH he's a loyal customer but a majority of the film he ordered I either installed, it or hand my hands on it, especially the last 3 years I'd say I tinted 95% of the cars that came thru the doors MYSELF, and set up accounts and other shops years ago that still order Llumar to this day because of me!.... The product isn't territorial, and I'm in a different county and I can't order it direct from the distributor, I have to go about other ways to get it and I think its pathetic for starters, and no doubt a slap in the face.... And no 2 ways about it, its WRONG

I just wanna know what a window tanner is. Is this some kind of Llumar magic? :lol

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottom line..... For twelve plus years I've praised it and put it on a pedestal and pounded the word llumar into the head of my customers and people abroad as a higher quality and far more superior film that anything else out there , and im not gonna be a Hippocrate and just start using a different product just because its being made difficult for me. Its what ive become accustomed to using and I love every handling aspect as far as the physical hands on installation of the product . and I know there are other good films out there, global being one of them for I have used it recently as well as llumar during this may lay, I'm not that nieve. .... Point is I should be able to order any damn film I choose, and have done nothing wrong that would give anyone a reason not to. Its not llumar I'm mad at, hell I'm not really mad at all, more disgusted and disappointed. Im not gonna hold them accountable because of a stubborn partial rep and a former employer who apparently feels threatened because he knows no one in the area can offer the same quality work that he does except for me, and being the only llumar dealer around here is the only thing he has to offer as a selling point that separates him from everyone else including myself, and apparently he is nieve enuf to think Eastman is the only way to attain it. I understand why, but its still horses**t , I'm 20 miles away in a different county. Like I said I Aint sweating it, I got 2 rolls of ATC coming today @ $ 260 per roll.... I love my old boss and there was a time I worshiped the ground he walked on, and would still jump in front of a bullet without thinking twice even if I knew it was so he could live for another 60 seconds so don't get it twisted, he has just become someone I don't know anymore, and this whole ordeal is saddening ,stessfull, and emotionally it just hurts but that's my problem to deal with not any of yours ..... And "flatglass" the only reason for the language and whatnot , is me trying to defend myself, I sign up to a forum to be part of something filled with people ,who like myself , have dedicated their life to making a career in the roller coaster ride known as window tinting ..... But I was wrong, cause except for the few that didn't mount an all out assault on me when I was only trying to get opinions and discuss a tint related issue , is nothing like myself cause I'd never be an " internet tough guy" and just flat out start jawjacking and calling names and "picking on the new guy " you could say , and now im the bad guy, but its all good , really..but maybe joining this forum was just a disappointing mistake, sorry to have wasted y'alls time, I'll just close my account, god bless you all and good luck to each and every one of you business wise.

..but maybe joining this forum was just a disappointing mistake, sorry to have wasted y'alls time, I'll just close my account, god bless you all and good luck to each and every one of you business wise.

There's no need for that, you are more than welcome here.

My job is to keep the place civil, so when names start getting used, I remind everyone to not get personal, not singling anyone out.

:beer

B  ---  You seem like an experienced and passionate tanner :poke  :lol   No need to leave just because you got a little offended. :beer

People really need to learn to debate a little better.  We all have to try not to let it get to us and make it personal.  

Debate = argue about (a subject), especially in a formal manner. 

You really wanna put the boots to your former employer??

Get some of the films suggested above. Keep at your great installs. Under promise and over deliver.

Soon enough you will grow your biz and Llumar will be begging for you and you can :flip  at them all day long.

If you're persistent, you should be able to purchase the minimum requirement and become an approved dealer.  LLumar is not supposed to be exclusive, only F1 and Vista.  If you can swing it offer to buy in double, and if the shop you are now at does any volume make your salesman aware of the potential you now have.  Your old employer will continue to buy LLumar no matter what you sell - point that out too.

If you're persistent, you should be able to purchase the minimum requirement and become an approved dealer. LLumar is not supposed to be exclusive, only F1 and Vista. If you can swing it offer to buy in double, and if the shop you are now at does any volume make your salesman aware of the potential you now have. Your old employer will continue to buy LLumar no matter what you sell - point that out too.

These are good points. But I'd be hesitant to go in to a distributor who has on multiple times said they don't want my work. ....

Here is where the situation stands at the moment , we found a loop hole that allows us to buy LLumar film without a buy in , nor do we have to make a minimum  purchase yearly, or use LLumar exclusively, we do pay a little more in the beginning but none the less we can offer what some installers think is the best film in the business.
The thing that started this situation was my inquiry into becoming a PPF dealer , as I already have a vinyl graphics and design business, I received information packets and samples from 3m suntek and LLumar, but since I had previously used LLumar from the early 80's until late 90's, where I first purchased from GDI , and then from Cortaulds performance films , I figured I was a shoe in to get it  . The rep talked a good game there was mention of a buy in and minimum purchases which I considered. But after two weeks of no response I contacted the rep again , it seems there is another dealer in the area , well in another county all together and the rep says the other dealer is an exclusive LLumar dealer/ installer and has been loyal since the early 90's and he does not want another LLumar dealer in his area,the  problem is he doesn't do PPF , the fact is he uses the basis of having LLumar as his line of film as a distinct advantage and doesn't want a LLumar banner flying at my shop . Thing is he thinks that the banner would falsely attract tint customers  to my shop.
We only have 1.5 to 2% of our customers ask for film by name and only half of that number knows what LLUMAR is .
As it stands the only advertising I do is on Facebook and free sites , I don't even have a sign in front of my shop , but things are changing as we speak we are having a web site created , I am designing a sign for the shop , and are in the process of having a company to lease a spot on my property to install a billboard sign which I will advertise on so a LLumar banner is the least of my worries.
However the installer wants to use LLumar so we went out of the way to get it for him, so he is now as happy as he can be .

Archived