New guy here wrapping a Yukon Denali Satin Black and I have a question

I have a read a lot of posts on your forum, watched a ton of videos and am always up to learn something new so here I am...

I decided to wrap my Yukon Denali with Avery Satin Black Vinyl and so far its been a blast! I have only been able to work on it about 4 hrs a week so I only have most of the drivers side done.

Trial and error for sure buts its been enjoyable so far, had to buy the right tools after I destroyed $80 worth of vinyl... Oh well lesson learned!  :)

Ok so I went the whole nine since I want my wrap to look amazing and last a very long time. I removed everything including the body kit, handles, moldings etc etc.

I am using 3M primer on all edges and curves, edge sealing it with 3M as well and post heating every part.

I attached some pictures of where I am at right now.

My question is and I feel like its very important since I really dont know lol. Can I attach the lightweight plastic body kit back onto the vinyl with double sided tape? I didnt want to wrap over the body kit and am wrapping each individual piece and sealing them as well. I want it to look like paint and so far my friends who have seen it cant even tell so I must be doing something right!

Thanks for your time and help with this.

photo_3.jpg

Full_Size_Render_21.jpg

Full_Size_Render_41.jpg

Full_Size_Render_43.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reply I will definitely let the car sit for awhile after I am done to make sure everything is set up before exposing to the elements.

The body kit pieces are very light I was just worried about adhesion issues but this Avery stuff seems very durable!

Luckily even after using a 3M eraser wheel for hours to remove the OE tape, I can see a very faint line under the vinyl where the body kit goes so I wont have to guess where to line it up.

These quarter panels are a pain! Took me about 7 hrs for the passenger door and quarter today. 

Now the entire drivers side is done... have to wait until Sunday to work on it again.

Question for anybody who can help.

The vinyl doesn't seem to want to stay bubble free on the seam sealer portions of the roof, I used primer but the bubbles seem to keep coming back. Will this cause any real problems? You really cant see them anyways since they are in the channels on the roof.

post-39623-0-59799200-1435796045_thumb.jpost-39623-0-74185200-1435796050_thumb.j

Thanks for the help.

I went out to my 110 degree garage when I got home from work to check on it and the bubbles didn't get any bigger or spread.

I want to do the roof Sunday but just wanted to make sure that these bubbles along the seam wont cause any problems before overlapping and edge sealing.

Also it looks like the vinyl is ripped in the picture for some reason but it is not.

Thanks!

post-39623-0-07999600-1435969782_thumb.j

My suggestion is if the molding covors that area then I would cut at that edge at the bottom so it will seal good. Then you could either use seal tape or the adhesive glue to make sure the edge don't come up. You don't want any bubbles bc eventually they can and will cause lifting.

Thanks a lot.

So understanding correctly is if you have a bubble or bubbles, they will eventually get bigger and cause the vinyl to lift further and further? 

Please tell me more about the seal tape or adhesive glue your talking about because the seam sealer portion on the roof does worry me and will be visible afterwards if I trim around it because nothing will be covering it.

Also what would be the best way to make sure the vinyl that is tucked/ cut around the back windows do not lift and allow water to get behind the vinyl other than 3M edge sealer?

Thanks again for the help!

I've always had problems with seam sealer just did an F-250 roof though it was perfect till the next day try post heating to 180 degrees and I just got a Tahoe same body style be wrapping it soon we will see what happens with it

I did post heat to 180-190 but it still doesn't seem to want to stick properly HOWEVER I am stupid and forgot that I pulled up some rubber trim that was on the roof and specifically covers the seam sealer...

I will jut cut around where the rubber will cover and edge seal. That should work. I cant believe I forgot that I pulled that piece off.

Here is a picture of the piece that covers the seam sealer.

post-39623-0-34057900-1436397393_thumb.j

Archived