Rear windshield tinted darker than the rest of the windows?

Just bought a 2014 Honda Civic Si Sedan, and the rear 3 windows are all tinted at about 5%. I'm going to tint the front 2 windows this week, but I don't want them that dark. I'd prefer 15%. I do want the tints to look as consistent as possible, though. Removing the rear windshield tint is not an option because of my defroster.

My two options are: 15% front 2 windows, and 5% the rest

OR

15% all 4 side windows, 5% just rear windshield.

The dude at the shop recommended the second option. I had never thought of that, and am not sure how weird that would look. Maybe the different percentages would be less noticeable that way.. Is it common to have the rear windshield tinted darker?

What do you guys think? Any photo examples of having the rear windshield tinted darker than the rest of the car?

Thanks

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would personally go with option 2 because the light/dark shades right next to each other does not look.  Plenty of customers do it, but not great looking.  So I would have all sides one shade and rear window another shade.  Either route you go, you will most likely get a ticket.

I would personally go with option 2 because the light/dark shades right next to each other does not look.  Plenty of customers do it, but not great looking.  So I would have all sides one shade and rear window another shade.  Either route you go, you will most likely get a ticket.

Just made my appointment, and I think I'm going with option 2.

I may get a ticket, true lol.  But I see tinted cars all over the place every single day.  I don't think cops care too much around here.

Oh and the not being able to strip the back glass is bs. Every installer says there is a chance but as long as the tint isn't that old it's really not likely.

If I was getting like 35% I would maybe take the risk.  Since I'm getting 15%, I'm wondering if it's even necessary to change the rear windshield 5% to 15%.  I guess that's my main question lol.

When I look at cars, I notice that the rear windshield looks like 5% at certain angles, no matter how light the shade is.  So I'm thinking it really won't be noticeable having 5% rear windshield with 15% the rest.

I may get a ticket, true lol.  But I see tinted cars all over the place every single day.  I don't think cops care too much around here.

Just keep in mind just because you see other cars with it doesn't mean they are getting away with it.  Plenty of them may have already received tickets.  Some of my vehicles are legal, some are not.  I drive the illegal ones around and people would assume the same about my vehicle.  I have received 14 tint tickets in the last 4-5 years.  I would say 60% of the vehicles here in Atlanta are tinted illegally and the government is making tens of millions on fines yearly.  Not trying to preach at all, just like to make sure people are aware.

Just keep in mind just because you see other cars with it doesn't mean they are getting away with it.  Plenty of them may have already received tickets.  Some of my vehicles are legal, some are not.  I drive the illegal ones around and people would assume the same about my vehicle.  I have received 14 tint tickets in the last 4-5 years.  I would say 60% of the vehicles here in Atlanta are tinted illegally and the government is making tens of millions on fines yearly.  Not trying to preach at all, just like to make sure people are aware.

Cool, man i definitely appreciate the heads up.  Here in NJ, any window tinting on the front is actually illegal, regardless of the shade.  I've been holding off on getting em for a good 7 years now, even though I've wanted them badly.  Now that I got the SI and its already half tinted, I can't really resist anymore.  I also know a few people who have 5% all around, and say they never get bothered by cops.  Also, the DMV doesnt care about tints for inspection.

I guess we'll see what happens, though

Archived