Benefits of Factory Tint

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Window tint over tempered glass will always be a nice safety feature.

Back when I installed auto glass, I loved to replace glass that had been tinted because there was much less clean up. A tempered backglass will shatter into thousands of pieces but if it's tinted it reduces this drastically.

I for one would not want all that glass shattering on my children.

Well we should keep this info to ourselves. Alot of SUVS still need tint on back half =)  More money for us

Delete this thread....

Sorry guys and gals, just answerin the OP. It'll get buried deep in the thread caverns of TD.com in time. 

Many years ago I was involved in a car accident. I was in the passengers side of my own car ( 1988 IROC Z ) when we hit black ice and spun into oncoming traffic. We were t boned right on the passengers door. I believe we were going 50-60 mph and the other car about the same. Needless to say it was messy. At that time all of my windows were filmed along with the TTops. .. All which exploded upon impact. Once we were able to gather our marbles after the crash, I realized that I has the door glass along with the film across my face, chest and shoulder. It did rip into several pieces but I was not showered with 50,000 pieces of tempered glass. That's my add to the "does film add safety" quandary. End result was 3 broken ribs, broken nose, broken collarbone and totaled Camaro. Not a single cut from glass.

I had a Honda that was broken into several years back.  They threw a rock which shattered my passenger window in hundreds of pieces, but the window film kept it 100% in place.  That and my alarm going off they decided to leave quickly.  I was able to pull the top part of the window out in 1 sheet.

Archived