Non Paying Dealer Ship

Hey guys... 

question..

i have been doing work for this one dealer..they have me by my b@lls with the cheap price... i'm patient and try to get them in without turning my money maker work down..

this is third time they have not provided me with the PO on time and after 30 days they don't pay their invoice.. and of course its my fault for not staying on top of that or i call it baby sit their job to provide me with a PO as i bill them right away..

What would you guys do? tell them screw you and forget about them or bite the bullet and keep going?

i can not say that i make money on this account but do have my guys do something rather then picking their nose at work during slow days. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found over the years that the accounting Dept. can be your best friend or worst enemy. Only you can decide if it's worth to keep.I totally understand keeping your guys busy so they don't go hungry. I would sit down with accounts payable and have them tell you exactly the protocol they want done to be paid correctly and on time. Then  if the people who send you the car don't do it by the book you can say, " sorry we need it done like this or accounting said they won't pay me". That way they can't argue with you and it's not you being the bad guy. You are just doing what you were told by accounting.

Always get a Stock# if it is a new or pre-owned car, if it is a service car always get a Hat # and RO#. Either way always get the last 8 digits of the Vin# that way you have numbers to trace the vehicle even if you have a hard time getting a PO#

However I would always try and get a PO# befor work is completed, any dealer should not have a problem with that if they want work done by a vendor.

Good luck

:beer

After having a dealer account in the past and currently working for a dealership. I would do my best in the future not to deal with them. I know that it is generally guaranteed work but they always want the cheapest price. I would do a couple cars (the ones going in the show room or someone's demo) just to keep the relationship going, everything else just tell them to send them your way.

Just my opinion anyway

Dont release car without a PO# and if they are still not paying you then dont do work for them. Otherwise i would speak to dealership manager/owner about the issues if that doesnt work then its not your interest to keep working that way. 

This is why we do not get into dealerships, we are 99% retail and focus on advertising/marketing ourselves to consumers so there is limited slow times.  I don't see the point of jumping through hoops and hope to be paid from a company that wants to pay you less than your normal amount.  We have only a few dealers/shops that we tint for and we have it setup differently to make it more simple and clean.  All they do is refer the customer to us and we will give them a percentage kick-back.  That way the work is done at our shop, we get to meet the customer so we develop a future relationship with them, and if they ever have an issue they can come back to us directly eliminating the dealer/shop having to deal with it.  I always look at different ways to approach the subject versus doing the typical method most tint shops use.

Our shop doesn't officially play with vehicle tint  at all. But when a contractor does not pay up we put all their projects on lockdown. When 3 or more site supers from one contractor start calling their office to get $h!t done the late payments stop pretty fast.

The money that dealerships pay us are just throw away money. It doesnt hurt them at all. So when you call and start asking for your check, they talk to each other and say "who the f*** do they think they are?" It puts us all in a wierd situation. But at the end of the day they will pay, just not consistent at all. It sucks but that's just the way it is. Unless you do what Dynamic does. We don't say anything until the bill is about 45 days overdue. At that point, when you call, they are very apologetic and try harder to pay you on time.

Archived