don't be afraid to charge...

if you know what you're doing.

just a little story to show that you shouldn't be afraid to get what you're worth.

been tinting for a long time and started training my son 5 years ago.  after 3 years he wanted to make more money so i set him up with his own shop.  less than 1 mile from him were 2 other shops charging about half of what i charge.  my only rule for him was you have to charge what i charge if you go on your on.  well he was nervous since these guys were older (he is only 23) and in biz longer.  well almost 2 years later he never went down in price, actually raised for vehicles he didn't like, and he's kickin' ass because he learned the right way and takes his time and does it the right way(my way).

so get what you're worth and never be afraid to charge.

just wanted to share a bit

When we first started we used to carry SolarGard / Suntek and charge $150.  The only reason we wanted to carry 3M was because we had so many customer asking for it.  We happen to open our 2nd location in one of the richest zip code in the United State ( 77019 River Oak). We drop SolarGard and Suntek.....and was BUSY with selling the 3M Brand.

4 yrs ago....I was influent by one of my installer to carry a cheaper film AGAIN to lure in customer.  We was charging $125 for a car.  It was the worst thing that we did....We was doing old dirty cars.  Our line was back up with 12 - 15 cars a day for $125.  We couldn't even take in a Crystalline appointment because our appointment was book with the $125 tint. 

I drop that business model 6 months after that.  Now we mostly deal with educated consumer and new vehicle.  Today we did 6 cars and gross $4200 in tint.....Got to love the Crystalline Life.  I get to eat bone-in ribeye everyday and YOU CAN DO IT TOO!

Same here, we started with Suntek then Flexfilm.  First level was $129 for a non-color stable film and $179 for a color stable.  Of coarse most of the customers were cheaper with older vehicles.  When we wanted to leave Flexfilm due to failures, we decided to go Huper Optik.  We were scared to drop the $129 line, so hung onto it for maybe 2 months.  We quickly learned that we did not need the $129 line so dropped it.  Fast forward to now, we average $300 per vehicle even though we start at $179.

Charging premium prices is a spicy meatball. The easiest way to do it is gradually push your member north when you are very busy. Basically giving a number to a customer that .. if you loose the job, it's not going to break your heart. If they bite.. it gives you more confiyto up the anti going forward. I won't bore you all with our process, but basically our commercial customers get preferred pricing and homeowners are typically 2.5-3X more. The commercial keeps us busy everyday and the homeowner stuff is basically gravy,

Is that just for removal?? I used to want to charge less, so i didnt miss out on removal jobs. Now, i price them high so i dont get them. Removal takes up too much time and i can probably tint two vehicles in the time it takes to re-tint one. Also, i miss too many calls scraping some film from some turd.  

Archived