Puzzled at this request

Ok so film came in, it is quiet expensive, double of XPEL Ultimate. Quality of the film is really good, no orange peel like on most vinyl wraps. Tested the self healing as well.

I am waiting for confirmation and i will start wrapping a new Porsche GT3 RS on Thursday. Film only comes in 54" (biggest roll) so i will see how it's going to work. Guaranteed the A-frame + Quarterpanel + Rockers 1 pc won't work, will probably have to make a seem at the bottom (rockers separate). I will look at it on Thursday and setup my plan for it.

Edited by BigRuski

Hi @BigRuski, sorry I haven't been around TD lately!  I wouldn't advise any full car color changes with that product.  It's more designed for accents, single panels, etc.  

As you are aware with PPF, it is pretty much impossible to wrap EVERY edge and corner without some major dismantling.  Being that it is a PPF and much thicker than vinyl, you'll struggle to get it to cover every square inch.  If you were looking to black out a hood or a roof or install racing stripes, I'd say you're in luck, but a whole car is more than the most experienced installer would want to bite off.

We did a pre-launch at SEMA a couple of years ago and decided to put it on the back burner for a while.  It's probably time we brought it back to market!  It's good to know that the folks in Canada still have some, because I know some folks that would probably take out a second mortgage to get some more down here again.

Hey Jeff,

The client is having Porsche body shop come in and strip the entire car, most of the trim is being replaced with real carbon fiber pieces and yes i am wrapping this entire vehicle in the black matte ppf. It will be extremely hard i can already imagine. The only issue i could see happen is the roof, where each corner ppf doesn't like to mold into corners (might have to vinyl wrap it.) Also the hood is 54.3" and the roll is 54" (so a bit of stretching will be required) under hood it's all carbon fiber. I do not have a time frame to finish this project (as it's winter time and season is slow i can take my time doing it too) 

Here are some pictures as i start, i will post progress pics. I have Instagram videos and pictures if someone really wanted to see the progress while i am doing this. https://www.instagram.com/evo_nanotec/

Every step will be professionally recorded as well.

P.s. @XPEL Jeff i think my client bought every roll they had in black matte lol20171114_122308.jpg.2dce3389c65a2a5fb40fece11b7f5603.jpgIMG_20171120_125547_062.jpg.014428e279684557423051b88daa1e88.jpg

Edited by BigRuski

What a b**ch lol hood is actually 55.5" x 57" film is only 54" and i had to roll it over. Very stiff but went on. 

I tested a few small sample piece prior to install:

Dry application - came out like crap (crease lines and bubbles.)

Wet application with only slip solution and plastic card with teflon - edges didnt get enough pressure created small bubbles.

Wet application with soap + water on main area then alcohol with water on edge. Using a black squeegie. - Came out flawless.

Same application method as regular ppf, only issue is the biggest roll is 54". Imagine a Porsche Macan hood (would have to be 2 piece with a middle separation line, ugly asf)

Tomorrow wheels / vents / headlights / washers / fogs all come off the car.

IMG_20171120_164635_207.jpg.b81e94e1a6084bbd6ead68d87fb7330f.jpg

I would imagine if someone really wanted larger applications done they would vinyl wrap it in black and then do matte ppf over it... or just use matte vinyl in the first place. Matte black is a dying trend anyways...

Looking forward to seeing the finished pics. Looks great so far

@pro-tect mobile the finish of vinyl doesnt look anywhere near as good as ppf though. I can tell its a wrap if the car is driving 5 lanes away from me. This film looks really really good. It better for 9.40/sqft

Alot of cars now a days come in matte finish and this looks factory painted. I am going to be tucking everything i possibly can. 

Like another client i have booked up of a Lamborghini Huracan Performante in matte

Edited by BigRuski