Seeking advice regarding residential security window film

Film on those would be possible if you used Pentagon or Gull Wing for attachment. You may have clearaniissues as the window goes up and down. Without seeing and testing, I can't be certain. Both of those systems are essentially a strip of rubber with tape on one side. One 1/2 of it sticks to the frame, the other to the film. They are big, ugly and impossible to hide. ... if it were. E, I would be looking for someone to buy some spice ornamental iron window bars from. .02

Security for residential begins with 8-mil safety and security film. 3M's Ultra 6-mil can perform as well as an 8-mil from other mannies. Attachment is really only necessary on units with tempered glass. Tempered breaks into beads and can be pushed out. Annealed glass breaks into large shards and holds together as one unit because of the edge bite (the amount of glass inside the framing). Not to mention, annealed has the best chance of collecting DNA.

Attachment is possible on what is in your pictures; the deeper inset frames can have the wet-glaze system (the amount of structural adhesive needed is not the same as what is used for wind storm mitigation) ... and, the thinner inset frames should accommodate Pentagon Elite/Gullwing, which is made from soft and medium hard PCV material. It utilizes a serious double back tape for adhesion to surfaces. Attachments are not pleasing to the eye.

All you need is to slow them down for ten seconds or longer. It's a fact that perps give up if they cannot get inside within ten seconds.

Ask a local glass company to remove the glass from the frame in the bathroom and reassemble with the pimpled surface facing out.

Dual-pane drives up the inability to intrude as well.

If you are really serious and your wallet can take it, replace all accessible window glass units with dual-pane using laminated glass as one of the glass layers. No need for film then and it'll far outlast safety film.

Good luck.

Edited by Tintguy1980

15 hours ago, smartie2shoes said:

If you are really serious and your wallet can take it, replace all accessible window glass units with dual-pane using laminated glass as one of the glass layers. No need for film then and it'll far outlast safety film.

17 hours ago, TomTint said:

I would be looking for someone to buy some spice ornamental iron window bars from. .02

:yeah 

Hello, You may want to consider the BondKap attachment. There is a profile the BK 2002 that was made specifically for the sides and top of the window frame you pictured and the BK 2008 for the bottom of the window 90 degrees to the glass. 
It uses a structural silicone like Dow 995 and a vinyl cover to span the glass and frame with a manufactured appearance.It is very strong, the film will fail before the attachment does. Tested and proven!

BK09A.jpg

BK 2008 dimensions.jpg

BK2002.jpg

On 11/14/2017 at 5:16 PM, electric_monk said:

Hi all, a bit of background: I'm paranoid, and always worry about the security of my home when I'm away. It makes holidays abroad and even visiting friends a bit of a downer, though I realise it's totally a psychological problem, as I've yet to actually experience a break in. However, that doesn't mean I can't try to alleviate the concerns!

Basically amongst other things (like door armour) I was considering window film to make it harder to get in my house - I know a determined burglar will always get in (after all, the houses around here are just wood, so they could just take a reciprocating or circular saw and make a new hole) but window film seems like it'd help, particularly with opportunistic thieves (who will hopefully be deterred if they find they can't just get in after they try and smash a window) who I could imagine just leaving if it turned out to be a pain.

From searching online, something like Ultra S600 seems like what I want, with some sort of bonding to the window frame.

I found three 3M distributors in the area:

- The first asked for some pictures of the window frames, then said they couldn't do it (they said the "framing system" is "very small", so it couldn't accept "film with attachment" and no good to prevent breach)

- The second came and measured the windows and said they'd do everything but the bathroom, as the texture for the privacy glass is on the inside. When I asked about anchoring, the guy said they don't do that, and that the way they do it, the glass will just pop out after a few hits (so make sure the police are on their way as soon as you hear glass breaking)

- The third are coming on Thursday

Now, the "we don't anchor" from the second guy seems a bit strange - since the first outright rejected due to difficulties with anchoring under the window frame, and I know 3M make caulks for this purpose, what's the game there? Can anyone provide me with more guidance as to what to expect?

Finally, is there any solution for the bathroom window (e.g. can I put the window film on the outside, or will I need to figure out how to dismantle the PVC window frames and flip the panes round, if that's even possible?)

Thanks!

It is also how the glass is made too, plate glass and tempered glass break different you have insulated 3x panes which means it is tempered . 6 mil with High Impact tape from John Tate in Pompano Fl. has Clear High Impact tape which is a better looking and easy cleaning long lasting investment for sure . call him at 954-290-5700 let him know Anne sent you :)  good luck

Edited by she tints
glass

Your windows are unique looking.  Are your sure they are not laminated? Laminated glass has a thick piece of plastic glued between 2 panes.  Your pictures also look like the windows are double pane which is for insulation.  When you knock on a non laminated pane of glass it kind of resonates.  A laminated pane thuds like you are hitting wood.  The laminated pane could be inside or out.  Contact a window replacement company if you have any questions.  Safety film would hold the glass together if it gets broken but most residential frames do not have enough space to use a wet glaze attachment which glues the film to the frame.

Residential security window film is an excellent investment to enhance home safety. It provides added protection against break-ins, accidents, and even severe weather. Opting for high-quality, impact-resistant films can significantly reinforce window strength without compromising aesthetics. Prioritize reputable brands and professional installation for optimal results and peace of mind.

2 hours ago, hery84 said:

Residential security window film is an excellent investment to enhance home safety. It provides added protection against break-ins, accidents, and even severe weather. Opting for high-quality, impact-resistant films can significantly reinforce window strength without compromising aesthetics. Prioritize reputable brands and professional installation for optimal results and peace of mind.

Tell us more about this wonderful product! :rollin 

Contemplating advice on residential security window film involves a person considering the safety benefits and potential drawbacks. Thoughts may revolve around the level of protection desired, cost-effectiveness, and aesthetic considerations. The individual reflects on fortifying their home's security without compromising comfort or visual appeal.