Has anyone seen dawn dishsoap eat up the adhesive on side and rear windows?

At the end of the day I think it really comes down to this, do you feel it's worth the risk? J&J works well for me, if I need a little more slip I simply add a little more J&J. In my eyes with all the questions surrounding the use of dish soap and it degrading adhesive it's not worth the risk to mine or my shop's reputation if it causes a failure down the road.

I look at it this way... If you are putting so much dish soap in your slip and NOT fully removing it during install ...your removals should be very easy...

Before low tac films for cover ups came to market we would often over slip for known "temporary " installations.

I tested JJBaby WASH once . After I think it was a month (may have been less)  it took all of 5 seconds to remove a 4'x 8' full coverage film install.

2 hours ago, WearTheFoxHat said:

I look at it this way... If you are putting so much dish soap in your slip and NOT fully removing it during install ...your removals should be very easy...

Before low tac films for cover ups came to market we would often over slip for known "temporary " installations.

I tested JJBaby WASH once . After I think it was a month (may have been less)  it took all of 5 seconds to remove a 4'x 8' full coverage film install.

Wow good to know..

I think the question has not been answered.

Has any one experienced real world film failure because of dish soap? Not in a lab setting.

I have used it many times in 27 years of hanging film. And have yet to see any premature failure (automotive that is).

11 hours ago, GusTheTinter said:

I think the question has not been answered.

Has any one experienced real world film failure because of dish soap? Not in a lab setting.

I have used it many times in 27 years of hanging film. And have yet to see any premature failure (automotive that is).

3M install literature has the preferred slip as Joy, i think film failures could be due to too much slip and/or not fully pushing it out. my 2 cents on it because it seems like it's always the back glass failing and it's the most awkward reach to push out the slip, and the failures are usually in the lower area.

Capture01.JPG

Edited by Tint Slayer

55 minutes ago, Tint Slayer said:

3M install literature has the preferred slip as Joy, i think film failures could be due to too much slip and/or not fully pushing it out. my 2 cents on it because it seems like it's always the back glass failing and it's the most awkward reach to push out the slip, and the failures are usually in the lower area.

Capture01.JPG

That's from an old and outdated manual. The more recent ones recommend J&J

20171212_085801.png.621b1e48560afd9f6a884aecfa48b3e6.png

@highplains so it appears 3M doesn't really know what to do either lol, but yours is very likely more recent than my sheet. It's still weird to me that household items made for something completely different are being recommended by a company the size of 3M.

But i also agree with @WearTheFoxHat the trick is to get all the slip out whatever you use, i think whatever is left behind is what'll cause the issue over time. I'm almost considering testing a dark red dye in my slip on some light vlt film to check myself that i'm pushing all the slip out 100%.

Are we overthinking the crap out of this or what? LoL 

I found the rest of the manual your sheet came from and unfortunately it's not dated but if I had to guess I'd say it's between 20 and 30 years old. It references films "coming soon" that to my knowledge aren't even available anymore, a lot of recommendations and practices change with time and new information. Ultimately it likely does come down to getting the maximum amount of slip pushed out no matter what you're using but at the same time I personally don't think that dish soap is worth the risk for me. J&J works well and seems to primarily be the industry standard for the time being. Maybe a decade from now we'll all be using something different.