Has anyone seen dawn dishsoap eat up the adhesive on side and rear windows?

Howard at EWF posted years ago of a lab study that proved it degraded adhesive.  After that I never considered it.  I just dont get why some use it?  Maybe because it provides extra slip?? Baby shampoo gives me enough slip in 115*(1.5 shot glasses). 

Edited by pbalentine

Which Dawn? There's a few. Always use Not Concentrated like Dawn Simple Clean, least amount of cleaner. If you're using Dawn 4X then yeah i can definetly see it (Dawn 4X actually says on the bottle "4x the cleaning power of Joy Non Ultra" you don't want cleaning power for slip). Switch to Joy Non Ultra bro. The trick to using any dish soap is using the cheap stuff that has all the slip but minimal cleaner, which is why people say any dish liquid will do as long as it's not Ultra or concentrated. My 2 cents.

Just think though, what slip will bond the best with the rear glass? The best tack would be with straight water, but of course you cant do that. After install, Id rather have the most mild slip floating under the film for days than something that designed to clean dishes and floors. 

As for joy non-ultra. Had that stuff leave soap residue bubbles under a FG job weeks later that I did years ago, which all had to be replaced.  That was it for dish soap for me.  

Edited by pbalentine

33 minutes ago, pbalentine said:

Howard at EWF posted years ago of a lab study that proved it degraded adhesive.  After that I never considered it.  I just dont get why some use it?  Maybe because it provides extra slip?? Baby shampoo gives me enough slip in 115*(1.5 shot glasses). 

I've heard people mention that test, do you know where i can find it?

There's also a guy on Facebook posting video's doing actual tests pulling on dried film and Baby Shampoo comes off the easiest after drying, Joy is the strongest with Tint Slime following. Though it doesn't really show long term degradation which is also important. 

1 minute ago, pbalentine said:

Just think though, what slip will bond the best with the rear glass? The best tack would be with straight water, but of course you cant do that. After install, Id rather have the most mild slip floating under the film for days than something that designed to clean dishes and floors. 

As for joy non-ultra. Had that stuff leave soap residue bubbles under a FG job weeks later that I did years ago, which all had to be replaced.  That was it for dish soap for me.  

I wish there was a way of finding out what slip was used on all those bubbling film failures, that would definitely help us all out. 

I did try looking for it just 2 weeks ago, but couldnt find.  If anyone can, please post. 

I found it!!!

https://www.tintdude.com/forum/topic/61586-ewf-and-sliptack/

Edit: I dont think its the exact thread, but he mentioned the lab nerds, which i remember from the thread i was looking for. 

Edited by pbalentine

21 minutes ago, Tint Slayer said:

I wish there was a way of finding out what slip was used on all those bubbling film failures, that would definitely help us all out. 

I know all of my within 3 year failures with that ASWF piece of shit, not worth the PET it’s made with, absolute TRASH film I had failing, was installed with TintSlime or J&J.    :shitfilm 

I found the Material Safety Data Sheets on a few Dish liquid products used for slip and when i can locate the exact adhesive composition for most films i was going to see if there was any negative interactions. I can't really find anything on paper about any tests. The issue i can see with JnJ is the potential for absorbing into the adhesive and not squeegee'ing out fully, but also similarly with dish soap it doesn't absord because of the surfactants but the soap may remain if not pressed out very hard. All these new slime products seem to focus on the good baby shampoo components in their formula, do any utilize the dish liquid components without the bad soap shiz? 

Edited by Tint Slayer