Covering up 3rd brake lamp

I’m just a guy looking to get his car tinted but wanted to ask your guys opinion on covering the third brake lamp up when getting the back glass tinted. I have a new Mazda 6. On my old Accord it was tinted over (but I also had a spoiler brake lamp so the lamp in the glass was inoperative). 

When I see cars with aftermarket tint and the film is cut around the 3rd brake lamp, to me it just screams aftermarket. In my head covering up the 3rd lamp would look more factory and clean but I’m having trouble finding any pictures or anything to make me know that’s the right choice to make. 

What’s your guys opinions on this?

thanks. 

100% cover it up...I have never seen a vehicle with the 3rd brake light cutout that looked good.  Some states it is illegal, but I would still do it in those states.  Also when shopping around, if the shop uses a plotter to cut the tint, ask them about of it.  I see most of the jobs with the 3rd brake light cutout coming from plotter shops.

They use a plotter but they checked and they have the option to cut around or cover it up. They’re pretty highly reviewed and been around awhile. I’ve used them with no complaints once before. Husband and wife team so quality of work is consistent and good. 

Thanks for your opinions, certainly reinforces my thought. 

12 hours ago, DynamicATL said:

100% cover it up...I have never seen a vehicle with the 3rd brake light cutout that looked good.  Some states it is illegal, but I would still do it in those states.  Also when shopping around, if the shop uses a plotter to cut the tint, ask them about of it.  I see most of the jobs with the 3rd brake light cutout coming from plotter shops.

You say you would still cover them. But in a state like Utah where have have had a annual  inspection you would be redoing quit a few back window from inspection failure.As of Jan 1st of this year we not longer have a safety inspection. It is still the law though. But with out the inspection to worry about I have not cut one out since. Hope it doesn’t bite me in the ass. 

6 minutes ago, Jake said:

You say you would still cover them. But in a state like Utah where have have had a annual  inspection you would be redoing quit a few back window from inspection failure.As of Jan 1st of this year we not longer have a safety inspection. It is still the law though. But with out the inspection to worry about I have not cut one out since. Hope it doesn’t bite me in the ass. 

Yeah, if it is part of inspection I would give the customer the option letting them know the possibility of having to redo it.  Luckily GA does not have these inspections I honestly don't think I would live in a state that did...can't do a double license plate state either.  Need my front end clean.  :lol

So far I have not had anyone ask to cut around it nor have I cut around any that had the 3rd brake light in the window.

I think it looks much cleaner to tint the whole window.

Ohio doesn't have a law on it so we don't see too many rolling around here with them cutout, most windows are fully tinted.

i agree it looks cleaner when you dont cut out for the 3rd brake light.  but in some states, it is illegal to cover the brake light.  so if a car comes in my shop for tint, if the film is 20% or lighter, i dont cut out for it.  if they want dark film, i will cut out for brake light.  in my state, it is not illegal to cover the brake light.