Expected pay per vehicle tinting at a dealership?

3 hours ago, Super Dave said:

@pottsnpanz

You work for Porsche, right? For those I’d do the same as what a whole windshield pays. It’s mostly pano roofs on those, so the amount of film and prep work is pretty close to the same. 

Panamera’s SUCK!

Its a 7 badge car dealership. This car in particular was a Jaguar F Pace which has 2 sunroofs but I got 2 hours for it. And I tried top loading my most recent Panamera which was a lot easier for those cars in particicular but I suck at top loading and kept creasing the sides but that's gonna be my strategy for those cars.

I think I'm getting screwed I only get paid my hourly plus 20 dollars a car. But also I make my own schedule work an avg of 25 hours a week no more than 32. I get vacay pay holiday pay sick pay and health benefits. Been there roughly 2 years and haven't made over 35k annually. I'm just putting what I've experienced out there.

I’m a pre-journeyman flat rate tech with hourly guarantee. They pay me 3.25hours for a whole car. Backhalf or two fronts get 2.0 hours. When I’m not doing tint I’m doing tech stuff. The guarantee comes in when there’s no work I’ll get paid my hourly no matter what for just for being there. 

So if you're a tech why tint. Are you tinting to add some extra money. I don't think it's the same thing. The idea is mostly everyone here are ft tinters not side job or "whenever a car comes in tinter" Also what kinda of tech are you. A lube tech or mechanic? Most.... actuall all the techs and mechanics wouldn't do my job. They have zero respect for it. And as they told me it's a waste of time. I'm just wondering what your planning to do in a year or two, are you gonna be a full time tinter or a mechanic. You see unless you own a shop tinting is a dead end job where most employers don't pay benefits. And a typical work week is 60 hours. As a opposed to a job like mechanic where you do have benefits typical work week is 40 hours and anything over is o.t. I personally don't feel tint is worth it. I'm just stuck in this job and can't really do anything else. I want to become an owner but I gotta save some [emoji383] its really the only way at this point. Sorry for the long ass rant. I was just confused by your post. Thx

I’m a pre-journeyman flat rate tech with hourly guarantee. They pay me 3.25hours for a whole car. Backhalf or two fronts get 2.0 hours. When I’m not doing tint I’m doing tech stuff. The guarantee comes in when there’s no work I’ll get paid my hourly no matter what for just for being there. 

1 hour ago, WhyTint said:

So if you're a tech why tint. Are you tinting to add some extra money. I don't think it's the same thing. The idea is mostly everyone here are ft tinters not side job or "whenever a car comes in tinter" Also what kinda of tech are you. A lube tech or mechanic? Most.... actuall all the techs and mechanics wouldn't do my job. They have zero respect for it. And as they told me it's a waste of time. I'm just wondering what your planning to do in a year or two, are you gonna be a full time tinter or a mechanic. You see unless you own a shop tinting is a dead end job where most employers don't pay benefits. And a typical work week is 60 hours. As a opposed to a job like mechanic where you do have benefits typical work week is 40 hours and anything over is o.t. I personally don't feel tint is worth it. I'm just stuck in this job and can't really do anything else. I want to become an owner but I gotta save some emoji383.png its really the only way at this point. Sorry for the long ass rant. I was just confused by your post. Thx

When you own a shop that do 7 figures in just tint and ppf...you will rethink think that statement....it is not worth it to you because you are not dedicated in what you do or your skill stop. I was only doing 3-6 ppf a month in 2005 when no one know what ppf is and almost gave up. I was doing Crystalline in late 2009, selling it for $500 and couldn’t sell it.... but I never gave up.  Now I eat steak 🥩 almost everyday and drink heniken for lunch. It finally paid off after all these years....cheer 🍻 

You obviously didn't read what I posted. And you pretty much proved my point, it's not worth it unless you own and even then it's not like your gonna do 30 cars a month out the gate that's why I said you have to save up. And how do you know I'm not dedicated or my skills aren't there, that was offensive.

When you own a shop that do 7 figures in just tint and ppf...you will rethink think that statement....it is not worth it to you because you are not dedicated in what you do or your skill stop. I was only doing 3-6 ppf a month in 2005 when no one know what ppf is and almost gave up. I was doing Crystalline in late 2009, selling it for $500 and couldn’t sell it.... but I never gave up.  Now I eat steak 🥩 almost everyday and drink heniken for lunch. It finally paid off after all these years....cheer [emoji482] 

2 hours ago, WhyTint said:

So if you're a tech why tint. Are you tinting to add some extra money. I don't think it's the same thing. The idea is mostly everyone here are ft tinters not side job or "whenever a car comes in tinter" Also what kinda of tech are you. A lube tech or mechanic? Most.... actuall all the techs and mechanics wouldn't do my job. They have zero respect for it. And as they told me it's a waste of time. I'm just wondering what your planning to do in a year or two, are you gonna be a full time tinter or a mechanic. You see unless you own a shop tinting is a dead end job where most employers don't pay benefits. And a typical work week is 60 hours. As a opposed to a job like mechanic where you do have benefits typical work week is 40 hours and anything over is o.t. I personally don't feel tint is worth it. I'm just stuck in this job and can't really do anything else. I want to become an owner but I gotta save some emoji383.png its really the only way at this point. Sorry for the long ass rant. I was just confused by your post. Thx

I’m confused about you post aswell. I started at the dealership as a Tinter. That was my way in the door. They started me at a low hourly wage but I didn’t care because I knew where I wanted to be and that I was going to get there. I came into there knowing that I wasn’t going to give them no choice and they had to make me a tech. In less then a years time I got a 40% increase in pay and now I’m union with all the perks and benefits. I worked hard and help everyone out and was a star employee. You see I never finished college and I did go to tech school but I never finished either. Being a journeyman tech is always something I wanted to see to completion. They pay for my schooling/training and certifications. I get paid for lunch travel and while I’m in school. In the meantime I run my tint business on the weekends. Yes I work 7 days a week. I’ll tint five cars every weekend with one  employee I’ve hired and I’m always booked several weekends out consistently. I’ve already got one high income skill and that’s tinting. I’m developing my second high income skill. My boss has plans to eventually phase me out as a Tinter and become a Tech only. Honestly I love what I’m doing now. My boss and work environment is awesome.  Whytint you sound like you’re your own problem. It doesn’t matter whatever you do you have to put in 💯. Really who cares what others techs think. When I first started the other techs didn’t respect my line of work but i feel that was my predecessor fault. He was a hack that got fired. Now it’s kinda funny they all say what are you still doing here you should go full time with your business.