Dry adhesive films on tempered glass

Guest Tint 999

Guest Tint 999

Hi Guest reaper,

I believe it is a potential issue, as in my experience the rough side can vary quite a bit. In some cases, the usual wet blade carefully may be ok upon removing, but if you scratch it...its scratched. This potential then could be that you are asked to replace the unit, and then the cost climbs steeply obviously if access to the units from outside requires extra equipment and labor.

Just trying to be pro-active is all. In my area, suitable dry adhesive dual reflective films for I.G. units are the norm, and a P.S. alternative in a decent range is not readily available if it was to be considered a more practical option for this issue.

I wonder if soaking as you mentioned, but overnight by sealing the window with painters drop sheet and masking tape to stop evaporation and then trying steaming might work...a lot of extra work, but if it means repeat business and no blade on the rough side it would be a win.

Guest Tint 999

Hi Roach,

Thanks and yes, agreed. Many Tinters will just go ahead and white scour rough side and fit film.....I am not so ready do this, and certainly not without explaining future potential issues so the customer is informed prior to installation should they still want to take on the risks. Still not an ideal situation though...and the way I see it, it is going to limit the opportunities in my area in the future to provide the best product for the jobs at hand where any possible external option can run into the same problem.

I don't do much flat glass work, but I am surprised this hasn't been more of a concern in the industry that i have seen anyway. The last job I did was for a friends newly built shop. It was bad. The triumph blade would scratch with even the lightest pressure. I did end up just cleaning with a scrubbie and installing the film. But I am concerned about a future removal. I did a bid yesterday and test the glass in a bottom corner. Same thing scratches very easy. Not sure what to do.

Guest Tint 999

Hi Jake,

Thanks for your response.

Yes I agree, I always do just as you say down at a bottom corner as a test. After cleaning with scrubby and soapy water first to remove any dust I then check with blade - any noise at all and its considered the rough side.

On one occasion, after checking the outside of unit being smooth, my customer was then able to have the I.G. unit removed and refitted the other way around which sufficed as a workable solution - but that is not always going to work out.

Guest Tint 999

So....if no practical solution, is installing architectural films with PS adhesive from here on a wise move if PS films are deemed easier to remove in these circumstances?

If so, who makes a range of high quality dual reflective films with PS adhesive...and will it last well?

10 minutes ago, Guest Tint 999 said:

So....if no practical solution, is installing architectural films with PS adhesive from here on a wise move if PS films are deemed easier to remove in these circumstances?

If so, who makes a range of high quality dual reflective films with PS adhesive...and will it last well?

There are plenty of DR films with PS adhesive. Huper , Solar Gard, Express, Global, just to name a few. As far as how long will it last.. install it and let me know how it looks in 15 years. 

Edited by TomTint

Guest Tint 999

Thanks TomTint,  I guess that becomes the question regarding the durability of PS over DA....since DA was created as a superior option for flat glass films, although surely latest tech in PS has to be reasonable in this regard.

50 minutes ago, Guest Tint 999 said:

Thanks TomTint,  I guess that becomes the question regarding the durability of PS over DA....since DA was created as a superior option for flat glass films, although surely latest tech in PS has to be reasonable in this regard.

Some will tell you that PS is advanced to the point where it will last longer than the films expected life cycle... this is usually parroted by those who have PS flat glass films they want to sell. I have been doing this for the better part of 35 years.. I do not recall ever seeing a DA adhesive failure ..where as I have seen PS failure more times than I can count. While DA adhesive is most certainly a PITA to remove..PS requires a razor blade in most cases as well.. which will inevitably cause the same issues in glass with fabrication debris or other surface 4 coating. That said, the glass that is being produced today is typically such high quality and energy efficient..adding window film is quickly becoming a loser based on ROI. .. 

Edited by TomTint

Guest Tint 999

Hi TomTint,

Thanks for your input. I agree re DA where when the film fails it is never the adhesive.

The requirements I have are typically privacy issues in new clear I.G. homes where a dual reflective film fits the bill very well for privacy without damping too much incoming light, plus the $ saving advantages of overall fade protection, glare etc, where a glass alternative that performs in all these regards is simply not stocked in the local area or is too expensive.

I.G. units are the norm since around 2008 re local building code update, and of course where code dictates safety - tempered is supplied, and of course the irregularity of orientation of it.

Yes, I guess old PS adhesive can be just as problematic to get off - particularly if attempting without a blade, therefore the risk I guess still remains in many cases.