How much dust under tint is acceptable?

It's horrible, needs to be redone.  Dust spots are minor and are hard to find, these are acceptable since we do not work in an air controlled environment.  What you have is pieces of dirt or larger particles which is why you're getting those white circles...the particle is pushing the film up away from the glass.  I see a lot of mobile tint jobs that look like this since they're tinting out in the open most of the time.

Edited by DynamicATL

30 minutes ago, DynamicATL said:

It's horrible, needs to be redone.  Dust spots are minor and are hard to find, these are acceptable since we do not work in an air controlled environment.  What you have is pieces of dirt or larger particles which is why you're getting those white circles...the particle is pushing the film up away from the glass.  I see a lot of mobile tint jobs that look like this since they're tinting out in the open most of the time.

Thank you both for the replies.   This is a commercial tint spot, it’s the biggest or one of the biggest tint shop in Cincinnati, Ohio.  

I posted this picture for other opinions as I wanted confirmation this isn’t normal.  While they did agree to re-tint it (yesterday), the second they thought I couldn’t hear them I heard them saying “Nobody will ever ever ever ever ever notice this”. “This guy isn’t normal” along with other rude comments.  Very unprofessional. 

I was never remotely rude to them and in fact was told to bring it in for a re tint after simply asking if this was bubbles that hadn’t cured or something else going on.   The owner even said to me that window wasn’t acceptable.  The comments I heard made me second guess if I was being unreasonable.  

The car was re-tinted yesterday afternoon/evening.  I now have what appears to be a 12” + long scratch.   I can’t tell if that’s just the tint scratched or somehow my interior window got scratched while they were removing the old tint.   I’m baffled they gave me the car back in this condition.  

I’m not sure how to proceed from here.  

Do I let them have a third go at it?    When I got the car back the second time along with the tint being scratched, my trunk was soaking wet in a spot for some reason as well as my rear speaker being soaking wet.   Water spots all over my plastics as well.   I cleaned up the water spots but have to say I’d expect a bit more from a “premium” tint job.  I’m hoping my speaker has no long term problems from the moisture.

Here is a picture of the scratch taken last night and this morning.  

https://imgur.com/P0pHGvV

https://imgur.com/7tt4BFG

https://imgur.com/IJM9AAU

I only noticed it when checking the car out with a flashlight in the garage after getting home.  I picked the car up when it was dark out and they were closing and didn’t go over the tint job or else I would have brought the scratch up immediately.  

Edited by Tinted

The scratch looks to be either on the film itself or on the inside of the glass.  I am going to guess it is on the film itself because if that scratched continued into the defroster lines inside the glass, there is a good chance the defroster line would be missing some of the orange stripes.  See if you can run your fingernail across the film and feel the scratch.  Either way, it would need to be redone or just removed/refunded if that is an option.   

5 minutes ago, DynamicATL said:

The scratch looks to be either on the film itself or on the inside of the glass.  I am going to guess it is on the film itself because if that scratched continued into the defroster lines inside the glass, there is a good chance the defroster line would be missing some of the orange stripes.  See if you can run your fingernail across the film and feel the scratch.  Either way, it would need to be redone or just removed/refunded if that is an option.   

Thanks for the help.  That makes sense &   I think it’s on the tint as well, I just have no clue how it was caused or why they would give the car back in this condition.  I sent an email this morning addressing the scratch and am waiting to hear from them.   I hope they make this right.  

41 minutes ago, Tinted said:

the second they thought I couldn’t hear them I heard them saying

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that... I dunno. Not sure what industry you work in, but when working day after day with customers.... venting, warranted or not, is not out of the norm. I remember one job I was on - it was a house tinting job - I went on this long rant... like... it was bad. And the customer heard. It wasn't about them - just another work situation, but after the fact I noticed the door was closed in the room we were in... they closed it. People vent.  I'm not saying it's right.... it's just a 'people' thing... IMO.

That being said... I'm not sure I would give them a 3rd try. See if they will remove the tint and refund you. (If you keep the tint and get a refund - that puts you, sorta, in a better position then you were at day 1. which is better then how you were before you went with them. - sorry... fan of the people's court. lol You gotta be made whole, but not better then you were before the issue arose) 

Of course if they actually scratched your glass... that's a different story. still.. .They need to make you whole to where you were the moment you arrived at their shop. IMO

8 minutes ago, Roach said:

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that... I dunno. Not sure what industry you work in, but when working day after day with customers.... venting, warranted or not, is not out of the norm. I remember one job I was on - it was a house tinting job - I went on this long rant... like... it was bad. And the customer heard. It wasn't about them - just another work situation, but after the fact I noticed the door was closed in the room we were in... they closed it. People vent.  I'm not saying it's right.... it's just a 'people' thing... IMO.

That being said... I'm not sure I would give them a 3rd try. See if they will remove the tint and refund you. (If you keep the tint and get a refund - that puts you, sorta, in a better position then you were at day 1. which is better then how you were before you went with them. - sorry... fan of the people's court. lol You gotta be made whole, but not better then you were before the issue arose) 

Of course if they actually scratched your glass... that's a different story. still.. .They need to make you whole to where you were the moment you arrived at their shop. IMO

Thanks for your input.  I understand people vent, everyone does it.  While it was definitely about me - it’s fine.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t being unreasonable.    As I said I simply sent a picture to them and asked if that would cure.   They told me it needed to be re-tinted and prompted me to come back in for that.    Hearing the employee complain how minor it was made me second guess if them re-tinting it was out of line is all.  

You’re right.  I don’t want anyone to feel taken advantage of, I’m just looking for a fair and reasonable outcome.  I have faith they will deliver this.   

Anytime you have someone do a warranty on service, most likely they are going to complain behind the scenes.  Especially in window tint since so many installers are commission based, so in this case, he might not be compensated for his time.  With that being said, it should have never left the shop looking like that so should be zero complaints.

1 minute ago, DynamicATL said:

Especially in window tint since so many installers are commission based, so in this case, he might not be compensated for his time.

@Tinted

Exactly that. If the owner was complaining... then yeah, I would be pretty pissed. But if an employee was..... it would annoy me, but at the end of the day not a big deal.

I do not think you are being unreasonable. The job they did was sub-par. Two options - fix it.. or remove and refund. :thumb