Recs for windshield - need uv blocking and heat reduction

Hello all - skin cancer "survivor" here (2x basal cell).  Just got my front passenger and driver windows tinted with ceramic tint.  It's pretty good, the low angle haze is a bit annoying but I can see it has improved in the 2 weeks since installation.  It was done at Tint World.

I am looking to do my windshield to take advantage of heat blocking and UV protection in the coming so cal summer.  My car is OLD so I don't want to invest too much, but want a good balance of price and clarity.  I do not want the windshield to "look" darker but I'd love the protection.  I just want to avoid the low angle haze on the windshield because I feel it would drive me bonkers.

Any recommendations on what brands to look for?  Thank you

37 minutes ago, baker667 said:

Hello all - skin cancer "survivor" here (2x basal cell).  Just got my front passenger and driver windows tinted with ceramic tint.  It's pretty good, the low angle haze is a bit annoying but I can see it has improved in the 2 weeks since installation.  It was done at Tint World.

I am looking to do my windshield to take advantage of heat blocking and UV protection in the coming so cal summer.  My car is OLD so I don't want to invest too much, but want a good balance of price and clarity.  I do not want the windshield to "look" darker but I'd love the protection.  I just want to avoid the low angle haze on the windshield because I feel it would drive me bonkers.

Just about any window film blocks over 99% UV which will be the same as the tint you had applied to the side windows.  Ceramic technology helps block heat, it generally doesn't offer anymore UV protection than standard films.  However, there are not many clearer options for the windshield in standard films so a Ceramic option is ideal.  If you need something higher, 3M Crystalline blocks 99.9% which is the highest possible but will be a more expensive film.

As far as the low angle haze, the film you got installed is one of the worst for it.  Tint World uses Suntek film which is known for bad low angle haze and scratches easily.

Thanks!  Didn't do the research first so I'm stuck with it on the front two side windows but that's ok for now.  

Heat blocking would be great as my car is black so it heats up quickly.  Can you comment on which ceramics might give the best clarity at say 70%?  Looking at Llumar, Huper Optik, Spectra PhotoSync or Ceraluxe Quantum Ceramic.  Getting a quote soon.  Don't want to break the bank but don't want to be annoyed either.  Looking to stay with this car for another year or two at most. 

Edited by baker667
Added a brand

There are three films I have experience with on windshields that I would recommend for what you're looking for. I'd look for an Xpel dealer in your area and inquire about XR Black 70% and CS Black 88%. The XR is a ceramic and will block more heat and CS will be a less expensive option but one that still has respectable IR rejection. The third option I could recommend would be Express Classic Ceramic Blue 80 but my preference would still be to the Xpel. 

Your existing windshield blocks virtually all of the UVA and UVB rays now, with no applied film on it at all. Those rays are absorbed into the laminate membrane in the windshield itself. Heat is another issue. While that membrane also absorbs a certain percentage of heat, it can be marginally improved with a 70/80% film. 

On 2/25/2020 at 5:23 PM, baker667 said:

Tell us what area you’re in and I’m sure one of us can take care of you or refer you to someone we know? Also what vehicle?