VW Bug doors

Guest alx4now

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the door seal comes out without any problem, leaves the sides completely free to tint....just pull it! No worries about the felt.

I killed several pieces of tint years ago before I learned that the seal came out that easy......

Guest lordofthetints
We use Tinttek as well. You still have to shrink every window. The front windows on a beetle are a pain in the butt. You have to shrink them on the outside of the car. I hope you're dry shrinking. On the front sides put all the fingures on the bottom and make sure you move the film up so you have about a 1/4 inch gap on the bottom. That way you can shrink the film all the way to the bottom edge. Are you wet shrinking or dry shrinking?

[*]308994

I tried both, the film just creases. Seems like those fingers are to large.

sometimes the fingers are larger than normal indeed, just goota shrink them slowly, keep on spliting them. :rollin

I personally like the wet method for doing the front doors. I will put my method in order

1st lay out the film so there is an over lap at the bottom, then cut off the excess so that you have a matching curve like the bottom of the glass.

2nd raise the film up off the lower rubber seal about 1/2 an inch and squeegee a horizontal line in the middle of the window, then work the fingers that are below the squeegee line to the bottom of the glass and heat them out.

3rd wet the film so you can move it again, slide it down over the rubber seal enough so that you can tuck it in to the weather strip on the inside of the window. Then do a horizontal squeegee line like the first and this time heat out all fingers up to the top of the glass.

4th Cut the top edge of the glass and then lower the film off the top edge about 1/2 inch and finish heating out the fingers.

I found taking out the seals as mentioned in this post to be a huge help. Just use a window bone or some kind of hard card to get it started then pull it out. When putting it back in use some soap to help slide it back in to the door frame.

Imo this is the best method. It is clean and quick, I personally don’t like removing door panels but the rubber seals are easy to remove and reinstall.

On the 4th step I wouldn't cut the film but rather mark it with a sharpie then cut off the excess on your peeler board.

Guest maddtinter
I take the windows out. they come out cleaner.

I suppose you take out the window on a Phaeton too?What BaY Area are you from?Sure ain't SF cuz I AM THE "BEST TINTER" over here.

Guest accurate
I take the windows out. they come out cleaner.

I suppose you take out the window on a Phaeton too?What BaY Area are you from?Sure ain't SF cuz I AM THE "BEST TINTER" over here.

daman.jpg

Archived