Illinois Tint Law

oldtinter

the continued abuse of dark films, especially on front doors has changed things. It's nuts, and makes it impossible to sell or promote film to anything but kids who want 5%. In time I bet you are going to end up in the same boat.

I agree OT but what really pisses me off here in houston is it is not kids asking for 5% I get a few but it is adults 30-40 :dunno what the hell are these people doing in thers cars.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest accurate
They need stiffer fines and if it is to dark and has a leagl sticker the fine should be doubled.

I like the sound of that.......... :dunno

so will the police be carrying meters? What about vehicles already tinted? What about factory tinted vehicles like SUV's? Will they be able to put anything on the front or are they out of luck? Will there be certification stickers or papers?

I know you don't have all the answers, but these are coming to my mind.....

Yep..they need meters. MPVs get 50% on the fronts. No stickers or anything yet. Yes, it's alot of work, and no, it's not passed yet. Plenty of details to work out before it hits the Senate floor. Like I said, it will more than likely be tweaked in the Senate if approved, and possibly further if it goes back to the house. Be patient, you don't change 30 years of crap overnight ya know. Will all tinters and law enforcement be happy with whatever the result? NO. It's a compromise on both ends. If we weren't there, a bill would have passed fining installers for putting anything on the fronts. You have no idea how close that was to reality. That bill sponsor is now on board with the new bill, thank God. Don't assume anything right now.

looks like I will be kinda busy whenI am in Chicago for my parents 60th Anniversary, I am on vacation that next week and can knock out the windows on my Brothers cars pretty quick.

2 Ford Escapes (are all but the front aready coated on those ?) What film will match up best with the Factory and still be legal ?

'02 Thunderbird, (James Bond Edition)

'02 Mustang Flip Top (glass rear window on that one ?)

Also a Scion, the one that looks like a Breadbox on wheels)

38% NET will mean 50% on those windows ?

It's !llegal to put anything on the front doors in Illinois. Hopefully that will change, but for now, depending on your area...expect problems with film on the front doors. Again, there is NO NEW LAW YET! I hope you aren't going to come in to Chicago, throw some dark film around and leave because that would suck. If you put light film on the fronts, they might not have many problems. :beer It's basically a mess now, like it's always been here. People driving with dark film and not having problems, and Grandpa going to Walmart to buy Velcro shoes getting cracked with 50% all around. It's insane. :bingo

I just want to add that believe me...I know how difficult it is to talk people out of dark film. The economy sucks, you get a guy in your shop pressing you to tint it dark or he's walking down the street. Do you pay your bills, or let him go? I don't have ANY answers for this dilemma, NONE. I also seen first hand the cops point of view, which makes all of this pretty complicated. Hopefully the bill will be so complicated nobody will be able to figure it out. :bingo Really, all we can do is try to somehow get the word out to "Lighten Up" to both the dealers and public. I found out there are other states with good laws that are under the microscope now also. I think it's a little unfair sometimes the way the industry is viewed. Yeah, there are knuckleheads who don't even attempt to sway people in the right direction, but the majority I think/hope are decent hard working people who are constantly pressured by both sides of the fence...customers, and the law. Kinda sucks. :beer

It's !llegal to put anything on the front doors in Illinois. Hopefully that will change, but for now, depending on your area...expect problems with film on the front doors. Again, there is NO NEW LAW YET! I hope you aren't going to come in to Chicago, throw some dark film around and leave because that would suck. If you put light film on the fronts, they might not have many problems. :cool It's basically a mess now, like it's always been here. People driving with dark film and not having problems, and Grandpa going to Walmart to buy Velcro shoes getting cracked with 50% all around. It's insane. Flaugh.gif

Reread my post, I asked if 50% would be what it takes to make it legal.

IF it is passed as 38%, that is what would go on.

Nowhere did I say I was going to install dark film on the cars.

I will up there late in Sept, if it has passed by then, I will go ahead and do them.

At the very least, see about 50% on all but the front if the new law has not passed by then, since the T-Bird is one of only 700 built, (James Bond

Edition) to reduce interior fading.

Cool. I just wanted to make the point perfectly clear, but it didn't sound like you would go in that direction, and that's a good thing. :beer:lol It's just such a big deal here after 30 years of nonsense, I think you can understand my apprehension of tinters or anyone screwing it up. It won't be perfect, but it would be such a huge improvement, and open up the market to the mainstream public....I hope. When you come in, look me up and we'll have a couple beers or whatever. :cool

Archived