Good bye little guy

If I was contracted by you to do project x with product x than we would without question inst the spec. If the only product you arg gonna spec is mmm than myself and hundreds more like me are out because we are not mmm dealers. Like I said before, When I get the call for film that is not our in house brand I need to work to change the spec or provide a equal.

But that's the thing.. you wouldn't get the call. The head company would get the order... contact NGSG, who would then contact their/3M dealer base and give them the job.

Of course, if the head company has to take other bids for the job required, then I guess it would give others the chance.. but I'd think once NGSG has formed a relationship with a company, they would just continue to use them and their network to have the job completed.

-R

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this. Its 10 pm and we just got in from work. The way we would get the call is this, GC , PM or estimator whom has worked with us in the past notices window film on the plans, If you have a good repor and have worked with them in the past you are going to have a shot at the bid. Even when the plan says NO EQUAL or SO AND SO CO IS THE SPEC. the gc is still gonna want bids. If I cannot aquire mmm for whatever reason, U bet your ars I gonna provide a approved equal. Case in point, we inst 750 sf of mdc 04 today. the orig spec was for scarl 150 ultra. Spec also has dealers name address and tele attached. This is a client I have worked with numerous times. So I guess I should have bent over an grabbed my ancles while the mmm guys come in and eat my lunch ? I think not. Do the math

Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this. Its 10 pm and we just got in from work. The way we would get the call is this, GC , PM or estimator whom has worked with us in the past notices window film on the plans, If you have a good repor and have worked with them in the past you are going to have a shot at the bid. Even when the plan says NO EQUAL or SO AND SO CO IS THE SPEC. the gc is still gonna want bids. If I cannot aquire mmm for whatever reason, U bet your ars I gonna provide a approved equal. Case in point, we inst 750 sf of mdc 04 today. the orig spec was for scarl 150 ultra. Spec also has dealers name address and tele attached. This is a client I have worked with numerous times. So I guess I should have bent over an grabbed my ancles while the mmm guys come in and eat my lunch ? I think not. Do the math

I think you missed the part where I said that I typically am acting as the GC.

Nope I got that part, I also got the part about only speckin mmm.

Well, as the GC, I am not putting this work out for bids to just anyone. I do not play one dealer off of another that way. That kind of nonsense is what has gotten others that have tried programs like this into trouble. Anyway, good luck with what you are doing. It sounds like you are doing well, so you must have something figured out. :spit

Guest Readyman
Theres enough business for everyone....many times over.

I agree, as a industry we have barely scratched the surface.

I still stand by my opinion that it is only a matter of time before we see NGSG start to distribute 3M film, and that is where I think the line will really get blurry.

I still stand by my opinion that it is only a matter of time before we see NGSG start to distribute 3M film, and that is where I think the line will really get blurry.

Readyman,

Are you trying to stir the pot? Ha ha. Seriously, NGSG has no desire to distribute the film directly and would prefer to continue utilizing the existing 3M distribution centers to provide the film directly to the dealers. I am actually friends with two of the existing 3M distributors and would not think of trying to bypass them in this manner. Not only that, why would I want to complicate the simple model that I currently have in place? :spit If it is not broke, why would I try to change it?

Readyman,

Are you trying to stir the pot? Ha ha. Seriously, NGSG has no desire to distribute the film directly and would prefer to continue utilizing the existing 3M distribution centers to provide the film directly to the dealers. I am actually friends with two of the existing 3M distributors and would not think of trying to bypass them in this manner. Not only that, why would I want to complicate the simple model that I currently have in place? :spit If it is not broke, why would I try to change it?

Patric I really like you and admire your hard work but couldn't you find someone other than the most corrupt company in the business to deal with? When you do quotes replying to post most of the time I don't know what you are doing but the quote looks like your text unless a person is reading the whole thread. :beer

Again you are OK in my book but I will lose money to beat mmm out when ever, where ever possible as a matter of principle.

Patric I really like you and admire your hard work but couldn't you find someone other than the most corrupt company in the business to deal with? When you do quotes replying to post most of the time I don't know what you are doing but the quote looks like your text unless a person is reading the whole thread. :spit

Again you are OK in my book but I will lose money to beat mmm out when ever, where ever possible as a matter of principle.

Stan,

On the quotes, I think in my effort to not have huge quote strings that I sometime mess up the quote and just leave it as text. I am trying to do that with this post also, so we will see how it turns out. I think I have been deleting the to thing. As always Stan, I appreciate your comments. I know that many in this industry have a bad taste in their mouth regarding 3M and maybe I did too at one time. However, the new group that has come in during the last year is solid and I liked what I saw. I am not trying to convince anyone here, that is just the decision that I made.

Archived