135i help

Guest Allstarfb7

Guest Allstarfb7

Hey guys Ive never tinted a car before but I'm trying to get started. My sister just recently purchased a new 135i and has agreed to let me tint it. Are there any problem areas that you know of with this car? Do I need to felt the gasket so the tint doesn't scratch? And when you open the doors the window automatically goes down about half an inch or so does the matter?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Allstarfb7

I'm also worried about all the defroster lines.. Will the tint still lay smooth with them on the back window? I'm sure this was mentioned previously but I'm hving trouble finding it

Guest Allstarfb7

Thats my problem, I live in Florida and all of my friends that would let me do it already have tint on their cars including myself. So im kind of SOL on that, I know your a professional and know what you are doing so I value you your advice. But is it very likely I will harm anything on the car? I Have been working on cars for as long as I can remember I just have never tinted windows before, I love learning new trades and love the Look of Tint as well as all of the positives achieved from it so im dead set on starting somewhere. Just any advice you could give me on Tinting her car without harming it in anyway would be greatly appreciated. I have purchased as many tools as I can think of that I would need to start off with such as Numerous Hard cards of different strength, Red devil, lil chizler, Bluemax squeege with handle, scrub pads, olfa knife, nice Spray bottle and a metallic tint..

Thank you for your time.

Car tinting really isn't a good DIY project, no matter how easy it looks. And yes there are numerous ways you can damage the car.

Please save yourself some grief and just buy a good tint job from a professional for your sister, other wise she is going to be driving around a brand new BMW with a lousy tint job, and trust me, the BEST CASE scenario is that you will do a lousy job, worst case, you scratch the hell out of her windows, destroy her defroster lines, ruin the electronics (7,000 for a new brain alone) jack up the rubber trim, break things on the door panel etc etc etc.

Thats my problem, I live in Florida and all of my friends that would let me do it already have tint on their cars including myself. So im kind of SOL on that,

Maybe strip and retint your own car.

Same thing I was thinking-

Thats my problem, I live in Florida and all of my friends that would let me do it already have tint on their cars including myself. So im kind of SOL on that,

Maybe strip and retint your own car.

Same thing I was thinking-

:thumb There are some expensive electronics in that car that can inadvertently damaged by a person without the proper knowledge...

I would NOT recommend you try the beamer 1st...

DO NOT try to experiment on your sisters new BMW. If you screw it up, your never going to hear the end of it. Not only from her, but everyone that knows about it. You WILL mess something up!!! Tinting a car is not a DIY type of thing. It takes a long time, and a lot of windows to get slightly good at. Even after months and years of practice, I've seen guys that could never do a decent job. Maybe see if a local tint shop would let you help out around the shop, so you can learn some things from a professional. If you absolutely have to learn on your own......... Try going to a junk yard and buying some cheap car windows, maybe a truck slider or back glass out of a car. Practice on them before you try doing anyone's car, other than YOUR OWN!!! If you're not confident enough to practice on your own car, why should anyone trust you to experiment on their car.

None of us here are trying to discourage you from trying to learn. We're all just telling you not to experiment on other people's cars. Bad things can and will happen, and it could be very costly...........not only on the car, but on your relationship/friendship with the owner. There are also tint schools that can at least teach you the basics.......try looking into that. The best way if you're going to go it alone, is try on the junk yard glass first. That way you'll know if you can really do a decent job. Trying to tint in the car is a whole other monster, much harder than loose glass. Good luck.

Guest Allstarfb7

Haha you guys have effectively scared the hell out of me which is good I guess. I deffinately don't see tinting as anywhere near easy I understand it takes numerous tries and trial and error to get somewhat decent. I just thought if I keep the tint and window wet while I set it up I can move it around until it looks right and get it set. I'm just worried about the defroster lines. I understand that you all are just trying to help me an I thank you but perhaps you could explain to me what you would do when tinting this specific car so I know everything involved with the project. Not saying I am going to do it just trying to get everything down before I decide. Thanks again!

Archived