Frosted Film In Shower Window - 3M Vs Madico

Guest j969k

Hi, residential consumer. Great forums on tint. But I have never been more confused and need some experienced input.

I am looking to add a frosted film to a window in a shower. Although it will not be taking as much abuse as the shower door, I would expect the window to get splashed and be in a humid environment.

Despite these conditions, am I right in assuming that it's better to add the film to interior of the window vs the exterior? I live in the greater Boston area, and we go through the full range of temperatures and weather conditions here.

I received two quotes from 2 different tint shops for various levels of frosted film. The first shop uses 3M and has placed it in shower stalls before. The second shop uses Madico; no mention of whether or not they've used it in shower stalls.

Is there a quality difference between 3M and Madico - film, adhesive, etc.? Is this really an issue of which shop is going to do a better install? If price was comparable, which shop would you go with?

Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, residential consumer. Great forums on tint. But I have never been more confused and need some experienced input.

I am looking to add a frosted film to a window in a shower. Although it will not be taking as much abuse as the shower door, I would expect the window to get splashed and be in a humid environment.

Despite these conditions, am I right in assuming that it's better to add the film to interior of the window vs the exterior? I live in the greater Boston area, and we go through the full range of temperatures and weather conditions here.

I received two quotes from 2 different tint shops for various levels of frosted film. The first shop uses 3M and has placed it in shower stalls before. The second shop uses Madico; no mention of whether or not they've used it in shower stalls.

Is there a quality difference between 3M and Madico - film, adhesive, etc.? Is this really an issue of which shop is going to do a better install? If price was comparable, which shop would you go with?

Thanks!

What films or film are they recommeding...........?

On a shower stall you definitely want to put film on the exterior. This would partly be due to the "constant" cleaning with relatively harsh chemicals that are not really "glass" cleaners. The exterior you would not be cleaning nearly as often. I have installed many different finishes in the 3M Fasara line and have found that when a client changes their design scheme and wants to do something different It can be removed cleanly without damage to the glass. As noted in another post there are 54 different finishes.

Oh and please don't forget that if any film you choose is translucent your naughty bits can be seen relatively clearly if you are close to the glass.

Not 100% sure, but...

3M dealer - 3M Fasara from dealer's description and range of frostedness

Madico dealer - dealer called it white / white matte / white out - I assumed that it was one of the Decolite products

Neither the 3M nor Madico dealers seemed like they did a lot of volume on 1) obscuring films and 2) placing them on windows in showers

On a shower stall you definitely want to put film on the exterior. This would partly be due to the "constant" cleaning with relatively harsh chemicals that are not really "glass" cleaners. The exterior you would not be cleaning nearly as often. I have installed many different finishes in the 3M Fasara line and have found that when a client changes their design scheme and wants to do something different It can be removed cleanly without damage to the glass. As noted in another post there are 54 different finishes.

Oh and please don't forget that if any film you choose is translucent your naughty bits can be seen relatively clearly if you are close to the glass.

Sorry if my post was confusing, a point of clarification -- I am looking to have a frosted film applied to a window in the shower (one side in the shower stall and other side is outside of the house). So the option to apply the film would be either the side of the glass that is in the shower or the side of the glass that is on the outside of the house and subject to outdoor weather conditions.

Yes, the naughty bits is the issue. The glass is already double paned, tempered, and frosted - frosting is on the interior argon filled part of the window - that is to say, both sides of the double paned window are smooth. I have some squeemish people in the house who want it even more obscured - hence the white out option.

I grew up with 3M films in my cars but am leaning toward Madico as of late. But I have no experience with this decorative stuff.

Thanks!

Yes, there might be a difference in quality of the film. Depends on what you decide to use in terms of which decoritive film.

As for the issue of install? You bet. Again, depending on which film..... some of the deco films are thicker then others and can be a more difficult install. I would ask for a coupe of references from both and then call them. Ask about any dirt that might be under the film, sk if there is any peeling, and finally ask about the gap between the edge of the window and the film. Obviously it is better to have a smaller gap. Generally speaking, glass is glass and I wouldn't rule one out over the other if they say they haven't tinted many shower doors.

I have Madico HG-816 on my shower doors and the film has held up just fine. This is a clear frosted film, that looks better than the white out (prob MT200 white they are showing). Never put any film not intended to be on the exterior of a house, on the exterior. With either film on your shower, I doubt you will have any issues unless you have hard water. If you have a window that is exposed to any sunlight, go with the Madico.

I would suggest having either product sealed with a neutral cure silicone after install. This will help prevent moisture from getting under the adhesive. I would not install any film in a bathroom without doing this, it will look really nice and clean too.

Has either shop mentioned doing something like this?

Archived