A question I pose

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

emergency brake - not ever being used.

Who taught this person how to drive? That brake should be set every time the card is parked and left unattended. A car which is rolling with no driver in it could kill someone.

Of course you could just buy him a set of wheel chocks for $10

-Howard

I beleive the law in Ontario says that a vehicle has to have 2 working braking systems.

If this custy were one of those spot checked on the long weekend he would have a nice fat ticket.

Most guys in our trade are competent enough to use a parking/ emergency brake daily on many types of vehicles.

I would politely suggest to the customer that vehicle maintenance requires more than changing oil and getting gas.

Call it stupid tax and everyone needs to pay it this time its his turn.

Tell him stupid tax is way cheaper than Darwin tax.

I've seen enough opinions to now chime in.

I have to respectively the disagree with those that said 50/50.

Why in Gods name would I ever pay into somebody else's neglect on a vehicle.

Interesting point someone made on that they should be setting their break constantly anyways. If it's an automatic I'm sure most people don't as I would think that virtually all standard cars, their emergency brake does work.

I would come clean if I damaged something, that is a no-brainer. But is damaging something = to using it as intended and it's number is finally up as a wearable? I don't think so. What is the difference between applying an emergency brake that should work from a legal point of view. Vs a taillight burning out all of a sudden when backing it out of your garage after tinting. No customer would demand you replace the burnt out brake light that just happened to burn out the very time you backed out of the garage. The only difference between the two scenarios is one is more expensive of a wearable replacement then the other.

This scenario reminds me why I much prefer to work on newer cars and nothing else that is much more than 10 years old. Brake light cables break, batteries that die, oil leaks in your garage, door panels that have been epoxied together lying dormant waiting for you to " break" them.

There is not enough profit in tinting a vehicle to start making free repairs on something that you are not liable for.

I remember once I went to remove an old cavalier door panel. Every piece on that thing I swear was epoxied once I had it off. After gluing it all back together, customer complained that it didn't look the same and wanted a brand new panel.

Although I was mad, there is actually a difference in this and has it has nothing to do with the safety of a vehicle. I ate that one, that was years ago, and learn from it to inspect everything thoroughly before taking on a job especially something old. A brake cable is something you simply can't inspect. It's just a number game before it bites you with the wrong custy.

My tip of the week: when pressing on a break light be it new or old car, press on it just enough to disengage the lights, but not enough to engage the cable.

Normally I would go with the 'fix it, make customer happy and move one' ..... On this I would say its a maintence issue and the customer needs to deal with it.... :twocents

YES!

Any what is an emergency brake? I thought they were parking brakes. I use mine every time I park.

Little advice to y'all, if its an automatic, leave it in the gear you are in, set the parking brake, then put it in park. Any movement of the vehicle when putting it in park is hard on the transmission, plus, if you set it before you park and let off the brake, it should hold the vehicle no matter the incline. If it doesn't, you need to adjust it. Woot!!

Archived