Ooooh this comm job is a pain..... Pics...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have a suggested chemical to remove the adhesive. I can get the film layer off but leaves the adhesive and sometimes some of the color (mostly purple lol)... I've been using Windex with Ammonia.... Would adding rubbing alchy or something to the windex help? DONT KNOCK ME, I don't remove old film very often because I charge so much most people just go to the next guy.....

That's what I'm putting on, white frost. I've really been debating the scaffold but even with the ladder, with the dozens of old people rolling by in their wheel chair I think the scaffold would be too big of a headache. Really this job would have been done in a few hours if I didn't have to scrape off 20 year old tint 15ft in the air....

Is it PS or Dry Adhesive?

If PS , ammonia, simple pink , steamers etc will work.

If DA, then keep on scraping haha.

Try a 4" long handled scraper on a job like that.

Like many have said, I wouldn't have taken that job on without a scaffold set up and barring all access to the work area, but now you're there, can you maybe take a sheet of ply up and screw it down to act as a platform to work on each window?

I would take up 2or3 , ply is cheap, and screw down a few at a time.

That would be a good idea, but probably not viable in a financial since on this project....

You don't know til you ask for a quote. Lot's of glass companies slow now and all this requires is labor. Glass companies with little work and idle techs may help you out at essentially their cost.

When you figured out there was film on the glass, you should have told them the entire arrangement had just drastically changed. Then figured out your best option prior to starting scraping. You could have probably piggy backed that film with their blessing. There's no way I'd go out on that ledge removing film. It would be interesting to know what you were charging originally and what you are now charging with removal.

That's what I'm putting on, white frost. I've really been debating the scaffold but even with the ladder, with the dozens of old people rolling by in their wheel chair I think the scaffold would be too big of a headache. Really this job would have been done in a few hours if I didn't have to scrape off 20 year old tint 15ft in the air....

You will still see the stains behind the white frost when the sun is on the windows.

Anyone have a suggested chemical to remove the adhesive. I can get the film layer off but leaves the adhesive and sometimes some of the color (mostly purple lol)... I've been using Windex with Ammonia.... Would adding rubbing alchy or something to the windex help? DONT KNOCK ME, I don't remove old film very often because I charge so much most people just go to the next guy.....

Most of the time when removing a PS adhesive I just use a heavy soap in my water and spray the adhesive down real good and let it sit.

This is the PS adhesive from some 20 year old film I removed.

018-10.jpg

Spray it down good.

019-9.jpg

Till the adhesive softens up.

020-6.jpg

I start at the top and make a few horizontal passes with a 4" scraper till I get enough room to start making vertical passes and keep the window wet as I go if I get some dry spots.

022-11.jpg

024-7.jpg

You see some dry spots in this pic.

025-5.jpg

Do not scrape back and forth when removing the adhesive as you will just drag the glue around. just make one pass going down and lift it off the window.

Archived