Ooooh this comm job is a pain..... Pics...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many times all it takes to remove these windows are 4 rubber gaskets on the exterior, much like the ones you pull on the interior. I can't imagine how he missed the possibility they were filmed, and apparently it took a day to remove film from 3 windows working from the ledge. Instead of thinking through the removal options, which I agree is easy with exception of location, he works from the ledge and seeks advice after beginning removal from the ledge! It all seems haphazard. Professional service at an economical price ~ chalk this one up as a time consuming and dangerous lesson in the trade.

You will still see the stains behind the white frost when the sun is on the windows.

Agreed.

I did a skylight that has busted seals... Installed whitefrost, which didn't do much to hide it. Then added a layer of deco film... helped more... but as you can see, it's still visible.

IMAG0625.jpg

It all seems haphazard. Professional service at an economical price ~ chalk this one up as a time consuming and dangerous lesson in the trade.

I would kindof sorta agree.... in that's its a lesson learned... but being in biz, we are taught these lessons all the time. Key is to try and keep them to a minimum. :thumb

If I had bid on that job - with the old film being super faded... I don't think I would have gotten on a ladder to check and see if there was film on the windows. I've gone on jobs that I didn't know there was film on the windows, and the homeowner wasn't aware either. It was super light... probably a 60% film...

It happens.

Guest filbertr6

Missing the existing film in the quote can happen, I wouldn't be too shy to mention it to the customer before I proceeded with the job, and make a decision after you see how they feel about paying extra for removal. We do just that when we tint cars, and customers understand, and happily pay 98% of the time! Residential customers also tend to pay extra, commercial is where it can get tricky, sometimes a board had to vote on a bunch of quotes before you get the job, and changing anything can mean causing way too much bullsh!t after you have the job, but usually these boards have someone in charge who is allowed to give you permission to charge out a few extra bux for unknowns like this! Talk to whoever you have dealt with to get this job, and explain to them that you decided to proceed without their approval since your days were all ready planned to be on that job site, and waiting for approval would ruin your schedule... Just tell them you did it for their's and your convenience with your fingers crossed, and the person in charge may be more than happy to compensate you for your extra labor!

Bring them a small gift like a round of coffees before you bring the subject up to them! Usually works for me!

Good business isn't being perfect, and always for-seeing problems before they slap you in the face, its knowing how to deal with problems when they show their ugly face, there is always more then one solution to a problem like this!

Completed the job today. I did tell them it would be extra for the removal. it took longer than expected to remove the film and I told them id split the extra labor on top of the labor I quoted for the removal.

I didnt mind removing the film, it was just a pain to do on a ladder. installation wasnt much fun either...

just glad its done and paid for

:)

thanks for your help everyone!!

Archived