Cutting French Panes

Guest thatsnappyguy

I could see doing this if its loose scraps that you are trying to save, which I do the same way you do. BUT. I have 4 cutter heads on my film handler, and that works perfect and faster than any plotter.

What if they are say 11 3/4" x 8 1/2", and you have 60" or 72" rolls, would you reset cutters and repull? Tried it on film handler but even with 4 cutters I found it required to much resetting if given the right variation of measurements.... :dunno

If it were a 60", I would set them at 12" apart, pull 8.5" and cut 5 panes of the film handler.  Its easy once you get the hang of it. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe think of it this way TE. Say your custy wants X film. Most resi customers will land in the 45-60 VLT range, or maybe a different material depending on the market. But I believe every zone has their own  sweet spot for resi material. If you find yourself installing numerous odd size pieces but all in a "general range". Have your supplier take your 100 foot roll down to 50 un slit and slit the remainder to common FP sizes. Your primary customer has already fronted the lion share of the stock cost on the first shot and the remainder is bonus material. I would guess that we have 15-20 rolls of slit film that range from 8-12' in width that are there for the taking when a FP job comes up. They will at some point be used and when they are, Its like free film. JMO

I definitely hear what your saying tom. I have no shortage of "free" film from jobs past and this is exactly how I choose to use it. I just prefer to keep a faster revolving stock so I cringe at the thought of having 15-20 partial cut-down rolls sitting around waiting for their day in the sun, if it should ever come.

Definitely will keep your suggestion fresh for those jobs that it makes sense for. :thumb

Heres a thought..

Get 2 of those tool belt towel dispensers and toss a 12" roll of film on one specially modified to pull only the width needed, hang the trash bag off your backside under your backpack sprayer you then would be a self contained tinting apparatus

Heres a thought..

Get 2 of those tool belt towel dispensers and toss a 12" roll of film on one specially modified to pull only the width needed, hang the trash bag off your backside under your backpack sprayer you then would be a self contained tinting apparatus

Your full of great ideas mate

I do a fair amount of fp. I start at twelve per pane. I do all my cutting on a plotter. Best thing I've ever done.

How do you separate them .............. ?

I bet the weed them and take the whole sheet to the job , then peel as needed

I do a fair amount of fp. I start at twelve per pane. I do all my cutting on a plotter. Best thing I've ever done.

How do you separate them .............. ?

I bet the weed them and take the whole sheet to the job , then peel as needed

Well you would still have to make a cut file and then cut the film and then load the film into the plotter and let it cut and then weed it and then cut into rows..... Time saver ..... ?

Archived