Cutting French Panes

I do a fair amount of fp. I start at twelve per pane. I do all my cutting on a plotter. Best thing I've ever done.

How do you separate them .............. ?

I bet the weed them and take the whole sheet to the job , then peel as needed

Well you would still have to make a cut file and then cut the film and then load the film into the plotter and let it cut and then weed it and then cut into rows..... Time saver ..... ?

I could see it saving time. Idk how long it would take to make the file but the weeding would be quick. The you could just roll the liner with the panes still on it. Then pick them off at the job as needed. ...idk.., it does sound plausible. The way we do it is pretty quick but also takes a fair ammt of time. And we end up with hundreds of pieces to contain.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We recently did a huge french pane job. We used our plotter. Making a square file slightly bigger than the window is a piece of cake. It is a tedious job cutting and weeding all the pieces but spending less time at the job site and having more than one straight edge made the install go by much quicker. a lot less head ache for sure.

I do a fair amount of fp. I start at twelve per pane. I do all my cutting on a plotter. Best thing I've ever done.

Well you would still have to make a cut file and then cut the film and then load the film into the plotter and let it cut and then weed it and then cut into rows..... Time saver ..... ?

Cut file? - just dimensions of the squares and quantity and cut away.  Ridiculously fast.

Cut file? - just dimensions of the squares and quantity and cut away.  Ridiculously fast.

You still have to make one and perhaps more if other sizes are needed, so what is your technique after the film is cut to the end of the install ...... ? 

You still have to make one and perhaps more if other sizes are needed, so what is your technique after the film is cut to the end of the install ...... ?

Mike, I don't understand your question. ..Are you asking how they use and handle a large section of liner with the FP on them?

TE. We do a fair number of homes on Nantucket and MV. All these places have TDL sashes and hundreds if not thousands of panes. When I first started I tried numerous ways to speed up the process of cleaning and installing. Everything from what you are doing, to using a roller paper cutter, to multiple blades on a FH. The system that works best for us is this. First, we use PS adhesive period. Never DA. 2nd, I have my film supplier slit rolls to a width that will overlap 2 the glass by about 1" and if there are multiple different sizes on the job, I will do the math and figure out what is the most economical way to use the film. 3rd. I have 2 prep guys go in front of 1 tinter. The first guy removes locks and hardware, dry scraped loose debris and sweeps the sashes with a paint brush. 3rd the next prep guy is wet cleaning the top rows of glass on each sash ( upper and lower ) while this is going on the tinter is cutting the pieces as needed and installs behind the cleaners. A straight edge is installed at the top and on the right, the left side and bottom are trimmed during instillation. We do it this way every time and it is not uncommon for us to do 350-450 pcs a day.

Pretty much the same way here, but when they are dried putty frames which is common in Az. I will line the top and tack , then cut sides and bottom. Squeege and be done.

Mike, I don't understand your question. ..Are you asking how they use and handle a large section of liner with the FP on them?

Tom, the question was not directed to you, seeing that you do not prepare your cut up jobs utilizing a plotter.

I am interested in hearing how others are using a plotter and it is saving time, I have a plotter and maybe I will give it a try, I am just not convinced it is more of a time saver then how I am doing it now.

Plotter = approximately 2800 standard size French panes cut and ready to install in 3 hours of continuous operation. If all dimensions are equal from pane to pane, a plotter can cut all pieces with your chosen trim factor so you only need prep, peel, stick, and squeegee.

Take precut film and reroll back to core, then box it up for transport. Use a CleanCut (system) box tray to suspend the precut film box from a ladder, ensure you lead with film side facing you, unroll to just above the floor, begin to peel from unweeded material and place on pane. 

Ssssaahweet!

Plotter = approximately 2800 standard size French panes cut and ready to install in 3 hours of continuous operation. If all dimensions are equal from pane to pane, a plotter can cut all pieces with your chosen trim factor so you only need prep, peel, stick, and squeegee.

Take precut film and reroll back to core, then box it up for transport. Use a CleanCut (system) box tray to suspend the precut film box from a ladder, ensure you lead with film side facing you, unroll to just above the floor, begin to peel from unweeded material and place on pane. 

Ssssaahweet!

:spit

Archived