Cutting French Panes

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys make life hard for yourselves. Have your film supplier slit the rolls 1/2-1" over what the opening is and stick the small rolls on a FH, then make 1 cut.

I work off of film stock. No need for a potential partial roll cut charge and shipping when 90% of the time what I need is on the shelf. 

Plus in the case of this job: I have 18 different pane sizes (both ways).....should I order 18 different cut down rolls to make it easier on myself?

TE. We do a fair number of homes on Nantucket and MV. All these places have TDL sashes and hundreds if not thousands of panes. When I first started I tried numerous ways to speed up the process of cleaning and installing. Everything from what you are doing, to using a roller paper cutter, to multiple blades on a FH. The system that works best for us is this. First, we use PS adhesive period. Never DA. 2nd, I have my film supplier slit rolls to a width that will overlap 2 the glass by about 1" and if there are multiple different sizes on the job, I will do the math and figure out what is the most economical way to use the film. 3rd. I have 2 prep guys go in front of 1 tinter. The first guy removes locks and hardware, dry scraped loose debris and sweeps the sashes with a paint brush. 3rd the next prep guy is wet cleaning the top rows of glass on each sash ( upper and lower ) while this is going on the tinter is cutting the pieces as needed and installs behind the cleaners. A straight edge is installed at the top and on the right, the left side and bottom are trimmed during instillation. We do it this way every time and it is not uncommon for us to do 350-450 pcs a day.

:yeah

PS adhesive on FP's are the way to go... dry scrape is a must, sweep with a paint brush or portable shop vac. Don't underbid yourself on FP's or you will regret the day you were born. :lol:twocents

We will custom width cut 60" or 72" full rolls for our customers that need it for FP jobs. Most dist's should be able to offer the same service if you ask.

TE. We do a fair number of homes on Nantucket and MV. All these places have TDL sashes and hundreds if not thousands of panes. When I first started I tried numerous ways to speed up the process of cleaning and installing. Everything from what you are doing, to using a roller paper cutter, to multiple blades on a FH. The system that works best for us is this. First, we use PS adhesive period. Never DA. 2nd, I have my film supplier slit rolls to a width that will overlap 2 the glass by about 1" and if there are multiple different sizes on the job, I will do the math and figure out what is the most economical way to use the film. 3rd. I have 2 prep guys go in front of 1 tinter. The first guy removes locks and hardware, dry scraped loose debris and sweeps the sashes with a paint brush. 3rd the next prep guy is wet cleaning the top rows of glass on each sash ( upper and lower ) while this is going on the tinter is cutting the pieces as needed and installs behind the cleaners. A straight edge is installed at the top and on the right, the left side and bottom are trimmed during instillation. We do it this way every time and it is not uncommon for us to do 350-450 pcs a day.

Not too much different from the way we do it. Except having the manny/dist cut down the rolls. I have maybe had a handful of jobs that would work on, most vary so much slitting or chopping 100ft rolls would leave TONS of waste at the end of the day. Makes sense if you have hundred(s) of feet at the same size or even close to the same. Take this job for example, 694 panes ranging from 6 1/4" x 10 1/4" to 12 3/4" x 22" and everywhere in between. I'd need 10 lin ft of one, 35 for another, 3 here 15 there.....etc. Just doesn't make sense for me, but I could see how given the right circumstances it would be beneficial for the big standard size jobs. Good on ya for getting those.....but we don't see them much.

Not saying your wrong, just that this is the best way have found for the majority of situations I come across. At the end of every job I have very minimal scrap and whatever is left over can be used for other jobs.....I'm not stuck with 30ft of an odd size I hope to use one day.

Archived