3M rep comes in with new ppf...SCOTCHGARD PRO

Guest Nik@mastershield

Hi guys, new to the board but I've been a long time installer. Curious to know about the 3m Scotchguard Pro and what you mean by it stresses more around contours. Did you mean that the glue distorts easier? I was told you could ball up the film and pull it apart again without the risk of glue separating from the film. Maybe that quality is a draw back when trying to tact it to the paint. I'm excited to try the film and how the end result look. Who did you guys talk to in order to get a roll of bulk film to play with? Am I going to have to call him  :minichuckto get something done?  Thanks!

I recently did a training with Nano Fusion and the trainer said you could literally pull a piece out of the trash and use it. So I went to the trash and found a weeded piece that had been balled up and discarded. After soaking then film in soap and water, I sort of washed the adhesive side off and used it to bulk install on a mirror, Guess what?? It looked great and tacked up with no issue, no glue stretch, no tension lines. I was told MMM would be the same but after reading these replies, i doubt it

Just tried the film again last week, no luck at all. I couldn't get it to tack in anyway. Even using pure alcohol. After balling it up and pulling it apart I ruined the glue and left distortions all over it. I have to say it's quite impressive such a large company such as 3M would goof on something like this. If it was a no name brand they would disappear from the market never to be heard of again. So to be fair I tried Xpel Ultimate on the same vehicle and guess what? It tacted, gave me some trouble but I could make it perfect, and tact well enough to pull on it with out leaving distortions.

Edited by Nik@mastershield

All film will have a little learning curve as the industry and technology of the films change over time.  For some installers and companies Gel had never been heard of until a few years ago but now it has been a solution that many people use on a daily basis.  What I can add to this is that the listed solution below will produce flawless results with Scotchgard Pro from our trials and I can confirm that after having an Open House Event yesterday with over 40 installers that attended as well as being on the road now showing the film to customers that there has not been one negative response for installation issues.

Water Quality is never the same where you go and for that reason we have eliminated any varriables and use Distilled Water Only.  With that being said you can mix a normal two bottle solution with Distilled Water in your solutions to get awesome results.  For Kits you can also mix a one bottle solution that is the following and it works great as well without having to worry about two solutions for your installation.

Two Bottle Solution 

8 oz. 70% Isopropyl Alcohol

24 oz. Distilled Water

32 oz. Distilled Water

1.5 - 2.0 Mils. of Baby Shampoo or Aveno Baby Shampoo/Wash

One Bottle Solution

8 oz 70% Isopropyl Alcohol

24 oz. Distilled Water

2.0 Mils. of Baby Shampoo or Aveno Baby Shampoo/Wash

The water quality is key and I have had a few installers question me about having to use Distilled Water but at $1.00 a gallon it is less than any special installation solution out there or Gel.  During our Open House we were going through about two or three gallons of Distilled Water for every roll of 24" material installed so for less than $0.10 per kit installed.  It was well worth it to take any questions out about water quality and to produce the same results every installation over and over.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions as I am happy to answer them and can also put you in touch with fellow installers in you region that had issues when they first tried the film with Tap Water but will swear by the above listed Mixtures and have no current issues.

Thank you,

Todd Bergman

Interwest Distribution

303-777-4455

Guest kccartint

Its easy to create a test that works best with your agenda.  To focus on SunTec and Xpel and leave out Nano Fusion and the new Premium Shield seems intended.  Two films which will run side by side with the new 3M.  The films seems to have potential.  But...with 3M film of the past, it will take time.  No telling how its going to hold up to real world use and color change which has been a big issue for them.  

Lets be real here.  Who is going to be driving along and get a sharpie mark.   :nope   Its good for showing a customer but stupid to sell a potential installer.  Show me a cone mark or a real bug or bird dropping stain.  After all, we live in a different world then these jack ass test indicate.  Show me long term testing data that will prove this is not going to last 3 years at best and want to become a part of the paint like the old 3M.  The whole squeegee mark thing is stupid too.  How many things out there would resemble this in the real world other than possibly a shopping cart bumper.  Wouldn't matter, that cart is hitting the back or side of your car 99% of the time.  Lets see some towel scratches, bug stains and oh...ROAD DEBRIS!

PFJ...are you lost?  Shouldn't you be pimping some outdated rewritten article or video on how social media is the new X factor.  :lol

Edited by kccartint

Show a test for peel up lines which can occur during installation when having to move contaminates from under the film.

I know Suntek scores 10 out of 10 for no pull up lines and that 3mventureshield scores a poor 3 out of 10 IMO

I would say that videos are good to show comparisons even though not everything is a real world scenario but also keep in mind that other film companies have rated their films against competition with similar tests so many of the videos are going to address those tests.  The squeegee test as well as the Sharpie test are not real world tests but it does show that a film has low surface energy that will make things stick less to it and harder to damage if it can't grab and bite into the film as easy.  Pleople wax their vehicles and use paint sealants as they reduce the surface energy to help protect in the same way.  At the end of the day 3M has always been a conservative company that will do tons of testing as well as testing that is required for OEM's when a majority of other films have never gone through or passed some of these test.  I am sure more videos and installer feedback will be showing up out there over the near future and it will come down to what the customer wants as well as what the installer likes to install and makes sense to their buisness.

Thank you,

Todd Bergman

Interwest Distribution

Guest kccartint

I would say that videos are good to show comparisons even though not everything is a real world scenario but also keep in mind that other film companies have rated their films against competition with similar tests so many of the videos are going to address those tests.  The squeegee test as well as the Sharpie test are not real world tests but it does show that a film has low surface energy that will make things stick less to it and harder to damage if it can't grab and bite into the film as easy.  Pleople wax their vehicles and use paint sealants as they reduce the surface energy to help protect in the same way.  At the end of the day 3M has always been a conservative company that will do tons of testing as well as testing that is required for OEM's when a majority of other films have never gone through or passed some of these test.  I am sure more videos and installer feedback will be showing up out there over the near future and it will come down to what the customer wants as well as what the installer likes to install and makes sense to their buisness.

Thank you,

Todd Bergman

Interwest Distribution

I agree with you on some points.  The issue I see is that customers see these videos too and its not realistic testing.  Its always what suits the film in questions best.  Its not just the 3M videos as well.

Smart consumers do research and these post pop up.  They should know that the suntek and xpel film would wipe clean just like the 3M if cleaned properly.  Those films are left looking in bad shape at the end of the video.  If memory serves me correct it was xpel that poured all kinds of common fluids on the film when testing.  Several Nano Fusion test were done like this as well.  Markers are not a good indicator of how stain resistant a film is.  Just how slick the surface it.  That surface can be slick and still have issues with staining, yellowing or dulling.  If your going to do demos like this then make it fair and unbiased.  We don't need a hard sell.  We need customers that are not brainwashed or confused with manufacturer and distributor unfair comparisons.   :dunno

"At the end of the day 3M has always been a conservative company that will do tons of testing as well as testing that is required for OEM's when a majority of other films have never gone through or passed some of these test."   

IMAG0145_zps8b267b31.jpg

Did they do the same kind of testing they did with the older versions?   I understand it has a seven year warranty, has 3M done seven years worth of testing with the new product?  How can they be sure this will not happen to the new film if the answer is no?  Does 3M have related care products available for the consumer to use on the film that can be offered as an additional profit center for the installer or is it just the usual "wash and wax as normal" care instructions nonsense?  Does 3M recommend replacing the film after a certain amount of time?   I removed 7 year old film off a Ford GT last month and the adhesive literally bonded with the clearcoat (a new problem for the old film).... still waiting on the bill for that one.  What will the warranty cover if something like the above happens because I really got screwed for pointing this problem out  years ago.  The response was kill the messenger vs accept responsibility and provide solutions, and it nearly bankrupted me.

Edited by Speed