FormulaOne or 3M?

Guest Lqmac

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like their vinyl, and for the sole reason that its stupid easy to weed a pattern.  Oracal and Avery are much more difficult to weed and require me to be careful, where when I weed 3M vinyl, I grab a corner and pull it, leaving the cut pattern.  Nice.  It also makes it worth the price hike.

See?!  I like 3M!

Oh dear... I tried so hard to leave this one alone.

THIS is why these threads are sooooo amusing. Even if it is low brow... So much dumbness in such a confined space. I guess it's time to ruffle some feathers.

"200 layers of something to make it more expensive? ".....

Well that dumbs down 3M's Multi-Optical Layering technology (which in itself holds dozens of individual manufacturing patents) to a single digit IQ level... Then you'll spin your usual trash about narrow IR band reporting. I could explain this for days but to keep it short; Not all IR is felt as heat. Not all heat comes from IR. There are wavelengths of IR between the colour red and the 900nm mark that cannot be felt as heat. These are the IR wavelengths commonly used in your tv remote control. You can't see them, you can't feel them. If you were designing a film with SPECTRALLY SELECTIVE capabilities, would you bother trying to block this portion of IR?... NO. Moving beyond the 1100nm range, the suns energy is this range depletes significantly as it moves even wider into the far infrared, and microwave regions.

Infrared absorption is different from visible and UV absorption: the first (IR) goes to vibrational energy in a material while the second and third go to electronic transitions. Our skin reflects a certain portion of light. That's why we can see each other. However it cannot reflect ALL visible light otherwise we'd all be pure white. The body defends itself by giving you a tan... But I digress...

In the simplest of terms, the band that Crystalline and Prestige performs best in, is no accident. It was engineered that way because those are the wavelengths of IR that the nerve endings in our skin respond to most. IE: What FEELS hottest.

"3M is a marketing company who sell 'sizzle'?...."

Please.... You gotta be kidding! I'm not sure about your experience MikeMN, but I've always found trying to get good marketing materials out of 3M to help promote their products is like pulling teeth! Marketing company my my a$$...

Some of you guys really need to do your own research and testing, instead of spewing the same garbage you've been fed by the wolves who want to keep their sheep in line. [emoji6]

All I can say, even though many of you don't want to hear it, is that the fact that you don't understand 3M's technologies properly, IS the reason you aren't using more of it. And if you deny that, then you probably lie about other stuff too.

Let the feathers fly!!

Hey TintJunkie, you feelin' schooled yet? [emoji106]

THIS is why these threads are sooooo amusing. Even if it is low brow... So much dumbness in such a confined space. I guess it's time to ruffle some feathers.

Well that dumbs down 3M's Multi-Optical Layering technology (which in itself holds dozens of individual manufacturing patents) to a single digit IQ level... Then you'll spin your usual trash about narrow IR band reporting. I could explain this for days but to keep it short; Not all IR is felt as heat. Not all heat comes from IR. There are wavelengths of IR between the colour red and the 900nm mark that cannot be felt as heat. These are the IR wavelengths commonly used in your tv remote control. You can't see them, you can't feel them. If you were designing a film with SPECTRALLY SELECTIVE capabilities, would you bother trying to block this portion of IR?... NO. Moving beyond the 1100nm range, the suns energy is this range depletes significantly as it moves even wider into the far infrared, and microwave regions.

Infrared absorption is different from visible and UV absorption: the first (IR) goes to vibrational energy in a material while the second and third go to electronic transitions. Our skin reflects a certain portion of light. That's why we can see each other. However it cannot reflect ALL visible light otherwise we'd all be pure white. The body defends itself by giving you a tan... But I digress...

In the simplest of terms, the band that Crystalline and Prestige performs best in, is no accident. It was engineered that way because those are the wavelengths of IR that the nerve endings in our skin respond to most. IE: What FEELS hottest.

Please.... You gotta be kidding! I'm not sure about your experience MikeMN, but I've always found trying to get good marketing materials out of 3M to help promote their products is like pulling teeth! Marketing company my my a$$...

Some of you guys really need to do your own research and testing, instead of spewing the same garbage you've been fed by the wolves who want to keep their sheep in line. [emoji6]

All I can say, even though many of you don't want to hear it, is that the fact that you don't understand 3M's technologies properly, IS the reason you aren't using more of it. And if you deny that, then you probably lie about other stuff too.

Let the feathers fly!!

It was not Mike that pointed out that 3Ms best attribute is their marketing. It was me. And they are damn good at it. They are very creative in how they publicly market the products they have. And deceptive at what they do and do not say. Yes the IR thing and on angle thing has been beat to death, all the deceptive, incomplete and misleading tag lines are well known among the professionals in the business.. But the ones who sell the product somehow overlook this. I don't claim to be the smartest tinter in the world, but I have a pretty good handle on things, I have been at it longer, than many here have been alive. 3M has done a fantastic job naming their products and getting it in front of decision makers. With the Internet and forums such as this one, end users are more and more educated about window film and some of the shanagans that have been hidden behind the curtain for many years. Having installed every film under the sun at one time or another, and seeing first hand what lasts and what does not. I would not put a 3M film on my home or building given the other options available today.

Let the feathers fly!!

It was not Mike that pointed out that 3Ms best attribute is their marketing. It was me. And they are damn good at it. They are very creative in how they publicly market the products they have. And deceptive at what they do and do not say. Yes the IR thing and on angle thing has been beat to death, all the deceptive, incomplete and misleading tag lines are well known among the professionals in the business.. But the ones who sell the product somehow overlook this. I don't claim to be the smartest tinter in the world, but I have a pretty good handle on things, I have been at it longer, than many here have been alive. 3M has done a fantastic job naming their products and getting it in front of decision makers. With the Internet and forums such as this one, end users are more and more educated about window film and some of the shanagans that have been hidden behind the curtain for many years. Having installed every film under the sun at one time or another, and seeing first hand what lasts and what does not. I would not put a 3M film on my home or building given the other options available today.

Thanks TT. I was asking Mike about the marketing because I'm aware of his knowledge and time using the products. But I absolutely have to agree to disagree with you about the rest. [emoji2]

Let the feathers fly!!

Thanks TT. I was asking Mike about the marketing because I'm aware of his knowledge and time using the products. But I absolutely have to agree to disagree with you about the rest. [emoji2]

Ultra Tinter, I am unaware what you have available for marketing in Australia from 3M...........?

That would be 224 layers ............. :D

Ultra Tinter, I am unaware what you have available for marketing in Australia from 3M...........?

That would be 224 layers ............. :D

Very very little Mike. Even data cards can be difficult to come by.

And yes, 224. [emoji6]

That's not good, if I have time tomorrow ( I have A Lot of 3M window film to install ) I will show you some of what I have...... :thumb

Archived