Please Help

Hi Driv3r

Sorry to see you going through this with your new purchase. Im shocked that someone would try to cover up that much damage with a sharpie, unacceptable!

Did the car go back to the dealership after the tint was installed? Reason I ask is because there is no way an installer would over look that and not mention it to you given its location, unless of course they are guilty.

My guess is the installers heat gun got too close and actually touched the panel causing it to melt.

Or another possibility is if he pulls the sweeps his hook tool may have slipped out and caused those marks. I have seen this once before and it looked somewhat similar.

Those are my thoughts givin the pictures shown. More pics may provide us with more insight.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is should be no reason way an installer would overlook that and not mention it to you givin its location unless they are guilty and their fears got the best of them.

My guess is I believe the installers heat gun got too close and actually touched the panel causing it to melt.

:yeah I'm sorry to be the devil's advocate here too, but, that IS heat gun damage from a misdirected heat gun. Ask the responsible party to simply 'man up'.

Hi Driv3r

Sorry to see you going through this with your new purchase. Im shocked that someone would try to cover up that much damage with a sharpie, unacceptable!

Did the car go back to the dealership after the tint was installed? Reason I ask is because there is no way an installer would over look that and not mention it to you givin its location.

My guess is the installers heat gun got too close and actually touched the panel causing it to melt.

Or another possibility is if he pulls the sweeps his hook tool may have slipped out and caused those marks. I have seen this once before and it looked somewhat similar.

Those are my thoughts givin the pictures shown. More pics may provide us with more insight.

The car never went back to the dealership. I find it hard to believe after thinking about all of this that he would not have noticed this defect when he was tinting the windows. When I said it appears to have been melted he did admit that he uses a heat gun on the interior, but claims he lays down 3 pieces of tape to protect everything from heat. My friend got his car tinted from him the same day, and we arrived a bit early to pick his car up and I never saw any tape on the trim when they were using the heat gun on the inside glass. I did see some tape covering up some speakers on the door when they were installing my friends windshield banner. 

The whole situation is very frustrating to me because I am very meticulous when it comes to my vehicles. I thoroughly examined the car along with two other people and would have surely noticed the defect through the factory clear glass. Upon examination it appears obvious to me that this was a heat related issue as the trim has lost some of its texture and roundedness along the edge. Also the spot covered up by sharpie got very heated and appears to have melted and got stuck to an object that was pulled up abruptly. The tinter kept telling me I would be shocked what happens in the back of a dealership and he did not do this. I cannot imagine how a wash and interior vacuum upon delivery caused this damage, and if so, that I would not have noticed it before. 

Imo that is a burn mark from him heating out fingers or he touched the panel with the heat gun. He didn't notify you of previous damage because it wasn't there. That's either a sharpie or blackout pen used to try and cover up the damage. This definitely was caused by the tinter

I haven't read anything but the opening post and looked at the pics.

That is definitely a heat gun melt with a blackout pen cover up. I have personally done the same mistake. And did the exact same cover up. Difference is, I didn't try to hide anything. My mistake wasn't a brand new car and the owner was okay with blackout pen cover up.

I hope you get this straightend out. Good luck. :unsure:

Imo that is a burn mark from him heating out fingers or he touched the panel with the heat gun. He didn't notify you of previous damage because it wasn't there. That's either a sharpie or blackout pen used to try and cover up the damage. This definitely was caused by the tinter

I haven't read anything but the opening post and looked at the pics.

That is definitely a heat gun melt with a blackout pen cover up. I have personally done the same mistake. And did the exact same cover up. Difference is, I didn't try to hide anything. My mistake wasn't a brand new car and the owner was okay with blackout pen cover up.

I hope you get this straightend out. Good luck. :unsure:

Thanks for the replies guys, that is exactly how it looked when I first saw it as well. Thanks for owning up to your mistake instead of hoping the customer would not notice. 

Any advice for how else to approach this? When I contacted him he said something happened at dealer no way it could be him. Then he offered to partially pay for a repair out of good will, to be honest I don't want the trim repaired I want it replaced as the car is a week old. 

To me it looks more like something was dragged across the panel causing it to tear/rip. If you look towards the right of the major damage on the second picture, you can see other flaws that do not appear to be burn marks. 

Archived