Please Help

there is should be no reason way an installer would overlook that and not mention it to you givin its location unless they are guilty and their fears got the best of them.

My guess is I believe the installers heat gun got too close and actually touched the panel causing it to melt.

:yeah I'm sorry to be the devil's advocate here too, but, that IS heat gun damage from a misdirected heat gun. Ask the responsible party to simply 'man up'.

+1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is should be no reason way an installer would overlook that and not mention it to you givin its location unless they are guilty and their fears got the best of them.My guess is I believe the installers heat gun got too close and actually touched the panel causing it to melt.

:yeah I'm sorry to be the devil's advocate here too, but, that IS heat gun damage from a misdirected heat gun. Ask the responsible party to simply 'man up'.

+1

Thanks smartie for elaborating for me as I failed to mention the reason they didn't point out the damage is because they are guilty :thumb edited my original post to reflect that.

This is why it appears we should not use a heat gun on the inside of a window. Personally I can count on one hand the number of times I have broken my rule of no gun on the inside. Never have did any damage because I practice the seven p's of auto window tinting. Prior Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance! The one tenth of a percent of us that use a gun regularly on the inside pay the price.

Back in the days (96 to 03) of painting the black dots on the inside I saw a competitor take a heat gun to the inside to help dry the Krylon faster..... he ended up setting the car on fire and then himself on fire as he tried to put the car fire out. He changed professions and I took all his work!

just say no to HEAT GUNS on the INSIDE!

It looks like the installer used the panel as an anchor for his panel popper to lift the channel out of the gasket. 

The reason why I say this is because causing the tear it looks like they used an 'effin sharpie to color in "black" where it was torn in order to hide the white-ish color under the leather tear. 

You can clearly see the outlining of the tear where a marker was used. 

IMG_1840.jpg

Granted this has probably already been said but I didn't read through all 6 pages, I'm going based off OP's post and experiencing that first hand from what another installer has done

Theres no way to burn that part of the panel even if the window was up and they used a heat gun on the inside. It would have to hit the glass first and then the panel, by then the film would be thrashed as well. 

It looks like the installer used the panel as an anchor for his panel popper to lift the channel out of the gasket. 

The reason why I say this is because causing the tear it looks like they used an 'effin sharpie to color in "black" where it was torn in order to hide the white-ish color under the leather tear. 

You can clearly see the outlining of the tear where a marker was used. 

IMG_1840.jpg

Granted this has probably already been said but I didn't read through all 6 pages, I'm going based off OP's post and experiencing that first hand from what another installer has done

Theres no way to burn that part of the panel even if the window was up and they used a heat gun on the inside. It would have to hit the glass first and then the panel, by then the film would be thrashed as well. 

Although as mentioned the heat could reflect onto the interior depending how close it is to the glass. But, idk, it just seems like too much of a tear from the tool slipping or improper use, not using a rag wrapped around it ect. 

Archived