How did you get your start?

I'm still in the beginning stage, but the reason I became interested in window tinting was to help out a friend of mine who owns a shop and had a lot of health problems.  The end result will be to learn the trade, but I can't turn my back on a friend.

6 hours ago, Roach said:

:err

Ok so here it goes...

My brother, who owns a refinishing business, called me up one day asking me to design a logo for a new company he wanted to start. When he told me it was for a window tint company I told him he was completely insane to even attempt to get into it. I had designed a few car wraps and worked with vinyl shops in the not too distant past and knew how hard vinyl could be to work with so tint had to be a thousand times harder. He wanted to get into tint because he got burned on a tint job and thought he could do better, famous last words. Because of my graphic design experience he wanted me to come on board to design wraps and vehicle graphics when he eventually expanded into that area.

So I did the logo and a few weeks later I was up at his place and he showed me the shop he had leased, the plotter he had bought, how he had a meeting with a 3M rep, and how he envisioned everything working. I bought into his vision hook, line, and sinker and told him that I was the man for the job and that he couldn't start this adventure with out me. 

That was 6 months ago and after tinting every car we could get a hold of, laughing at death, screaming at pita cars, crying over creased tint, spending countless hours lurking on the forums on here, watching hundreds of hours of youtube videos, tracking down 3M reps for training, burning the crap out of my arm, cutting my hands, almost getting into a few fist fights, howling at the moon, and generally loosing our minds on a daily basis, we are ready to open shop. Are we crazy? Hell Yes! Are we going to make it in the tint world? Who the hell knows. Has this been the worst and best experience of my life? Definitely. Theres no turning back now.

I was building silos in Iowa, saw an add for "entrepeneurs wanted for window tinting business ", bought 2 rolls of silver and bronze 60" , some tools , a little training and the rest is history.

School of hard knocks, Now certified in security,SD,Enerlogic,OSHA,can lay a mean bead of 995, you get my drift. It's been a long journey , but as JH812 said , you can't seem to get out of it once your in, Some of us seem to hit the right market at the right time , others ,regardless of their experience ,go from job to job, state to state, but "We're all in this together LOL