Tinting a car after removal

On 6/8/2017 at 6:18 AM, Midtown Houston said:

Hi guys......I have been fighting this for many years.  No matter how much JJ I put into my bottle....my slip just won't work.  This only happen to window that have film removal.  For some reason, the film just get stuck and I'm fighting with the film to move into place. I even double up JJ into my bottle and it still get stuck.  I even try dawn ultra and that didn't help.

Have anyone figure out a solution that will solve this problem? 

Do you go straight to film application after the removal? If so, there is your problem. Warm glass and JJ (or any other solution for that matter) don't mix.

Hot glass, hot climate makes for a sticky PIA. I have worked in 40 below zero and 110 above. Most of my solution mix is the same except for the time waiting on the glass to get to ambient temp. Maybe try removing back glass and then doing doors and then back glass in that situation. That back glass can take some time after removal (I don't know how you are doing your's) to come down to temp to not have a solution issue. Life PPF, heat, humidity and surface play a big part in application fluids. If I am in Texas installing clear bra, I use a heavy slip and let sit 10min, if I am in New York at the same time of year, I use a shot of alcohol with lighter slip to secure material

We black bag the rear window and steam off the sides while waiting.  Then pull the car in and spray the rear window with Rapid Remover to remove any leftover glue.  By the time we have cut the rear window pattern and prepped the rear window, it has cooled down.  We use our normal amount J&J and have no issue sticking.

18 hours ago, Aesop_Rock said:

What are you using to remove the tint? Just steam? I always use a window cleaner and alcohol after I remove tint just to make sure I am getting everything off. Super soap helps. I do a six count of J&J in my Zep. Makes for a great slide.

Hmm i just added some BS and dawn and alky and some water lol

Gotta love backyard chemistry?

Since the 1st monday of the new yr/inspection law i have removed some tint hopefully this helps make easier and less razor blades used

20170713_084549.jpg

If you will get Windex with Ammonia in it and mix a bottle half and half with Windex and Sudsy Ammonia ( AND HOLD YOUR BREATH) :barf 

You can use this for bagging and after the tint comes off it will eat away at any glue after a couple of soakings.  Just spray it after you have exposed the glue,,, bag it again and let the mixture do it's work. Turns the glue to goo. :twocents 

If it.smells toxic i wont use it and the castle metal can glass cleaner.is my least fav but it softens the glue decent but also slimey mess that i dont like also the LA awesome stuff doesnt smell bad but slimey mess with that 

And bagging it? Only works when its sunny out and not.much of that here this yr lol

Bagging with ammonia works no matter what time of year it is.  

You could just open a bottle of ammonia and put it in the car, and wait long enough :twiddlethumbs , it would eventually do its job just from the vapor and fumes coming out of the open container.   It does what it does for a reason. :cleanwindows  

And you can't stop the goo. :nope  NO matter what you use.  

I just rolled out a scrap piece of 50% and put it on the inside of the backglass.  With the liner still on it.  

Sprayed with straight super sudsy ammonia and let it sit in the sun for 2 hours.  

I peeled the old tint off with no glue at all (and trust me, it would have left glue if I hadn't done this)  

I only had to re-soak the glass three times.   That's not much time of holding your breath each time. :heh  

Archived