Lotp #922

The temp gage / heater has been acting wonky for a while now.. I changed the thermostat today and that doesn't appear to have fixed the problem.

1999 Ford Ranger... 263k miles. Shoot me now.

When I first go out.... the temp will very slowly work its way up to the normal range... but cold air blows out. Then about 60 seconds later the temp gage spikes to 100% for about 3-4 seconds, then falls back to normal. Then heat will start to come out. Sometimes it then turns cold and the temp drops again back to like 20%... then works its way back up to normal and stays there, and heat remains coming out.

Yesturday I went to wallmart which is like 15 min from me.. same thing, but this time when it spiked a fever, it stayed up. So I pulled over... and then it dropped. When I got to wallmart I picked up some anti-freeze. When I got home, I decided to flush the system. Rusty water came out. I flushed it.. put the anti-freeze in... got up this morning to get my ears lowered and it seemed fine. Drove to my mom's since that's where all the tools are and changed the thermostat. Drove home - 45 min probably with a couple stops. Everything seemed good.

Just got home from the gym, which is ~5 min from me... temp gage didn't spike but still blew out cold air for a while.. .finally hot air came out. I'm in my driveway and there is steam coming from under the hood.

Open the hood and everything is wet...

Any ideas?

Aside from needing a new truck, I need to get laid.

:facepalm2

IMG_20181205_121402 (002).jpg

Edited by Roach

@Roach   It really sounds like you have a bad heater core.   The other problem could be a blown head gasket(I hope not) 

Those are the two options, from what I am reading.  

The reason it ran ran a little better for awhile is because of the antifreeze you added keeping the engine cooler. 

Also,,, if you have ever mixed antifreeze (orange with green) , that is a huge no-no and can cause that muddy sludge.  

Edited by Bham

I fought the thermostat on my 96, I love how ford designed it. :bs mine always showed cold on the gauge. There may be 2 temp sensors on your motor like my gm. 1 is watched by the ecm and the other is just for the gauge. If it wasn't leaking before and is now I'd check what you just messed with, and a heater core is a cheap part that's a mother to change in a ranger :twocents . Recheck after refill, and verifying no coolant in your oil. Then let it warm up with the heater on and fan on low, then look for the obvious. Radiator/hoses/water pump/heater core. @Roach

Edited by no ma'am

@Bham I hope it's not the head gasket.. It's been way too long since I've assisted in changing one,  so above my payscale. lol

@no ma'am The thermostat on the 99 is actually really easy. Like 15 min maybe. Longer cause it was cold and snowing today, so I did one thing, went inside for a few min... came out and did the next step, etc.

My plan for tomorrow morning is to start the truck and just stand there and watch what happens with the hood up. After that, probably drive it to the shop. I'm looking at an apartment at 11... then need to be home by 2pm for the inspector to get here... so if I can get a ride home from the shop I'll take it in.

Unless it turns out that a hose is leaking or something stupid like that... which I doubt will be the case...

@Roach   You said the engine bay was soaked :chin  It May turn out to be a bad hose or something simple.  But that thermostat looks like crap and they are cheap, so change it anyway.  Your system should NOT look like that.  

Edited by Bham