Is it time to move on?

Again just because you obviously have no idea how to tint windows efficiently doesn't mean other can't...get off you arrogant ass horse and maybe try working on your craft. Turning out work quickly doesn't mean it's shit work with creases and you have to bake it with a heat gun forever to get all the contamination. The fastest way to tint a car is with efficiency , and done right. ie no screwing around with a heat gun and oh it's gotta sit for hours. Just because someone can tint two or three times as many cars as you doesn't mean they are greedy...it just means they aren't lazy.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:31 AM, Taco_Conch said:

I live in Texas where tint is big business.  In my particular county, dealerships are naturally greedy and have in house tinters to save money.  I'm currently an in house tinter.  I've been working along side a bum who, without exaggeration, tinted about 2 cars a day.  Meanwhile, I have been averaging about 14 cars a day.  The aforementioned bum recently quit and I was excited to have all the inventory to myself.  Keep in mind, every single car on the lot is tinted within a day of it coming in due to my work habits AND I DON'T GET COMEBACKS!  However, my boss feels that it's necessary to hire another tinter in the unlikely event that I get sick or hurt for a week.  I've consistently proven to him that I can handle the workload and am ridiculously reliable.  He knows that I want to work by myself but I honestly think he's annoyed that I'm making more money than him.  What should I do?  Find another job first and give him an ultimatum?  Say, "Fuck it!  No 2 weeks notice and move on"?  Or move to another county without in house tinters and start my own business?  Thanks.

Dear Taco_Conch,

The extremely experienced folks that have offered you advice are correct in me own opinion.

I felt the desire to respond simply because I have contracted a long term (High volume) dealership tinter in the past 18 months and his inner most thoughts are that he was being used and tinting in the same place for the same ungrateful people day in and day out was "Soul destroying".

He is not engineered for running a business of his own, but he is a wonderful people person, so he is an absolute pleasure to work with and I feel like he is an asset to the business. There's more than meets the eye in regards to running a business of your own... Leaving work at 5pm sharp is not an option if you want to grow your biz.

It's funny how confidence can play such a critical roll in business and it sounds like you just need to speak to someone experienced that can point you in the right direction from a business aspect to be able to assist in your current situation.

Take a deep breath and reside in the fact that you have the skills that your employer needs.

Hope this helps.

Michael.

Start your own thing. Rent a shop next door to the dealership you’re leaving. Put a sign outside the door that says “Full Tintz Fo $89 Yo!” Sit back and rake in the dough. If someone opens up next to you, get a new sign made that says “I’m cheaper than that guy ➡️“ and bring your prices down to $79. The only way to truly make money in this business is to be the cheapest person on the block. 

If you believed any of the above, don’t quit your day job.