Rear screen peanuts in tint

Hi tinter's ,  im having problems with peanuts in rear screens. I use global QDP which i am very fond of. I dry shrink with the soap bar method.im not sure whats causing this. I can push out most of them but some are very stubborn.im not a veteran tinter ive been tinting from  2016 and have recently opened my own shop. Any advice would be much appreciated. Some photos showing my new shop🙂

15983556017994227635470942275200.jpg

IMG-20200822-WA0003.jpeg

20200823_162616.jpg

Peanuts happen because of irregularities on the line. Certain vehicles are more prone to them. Try using 000 steel wool to clean and thin out the lines. Here’s an old trick to get rid of stubborn peanuts. Paper wrap hard card and hold film to the line and heat to near blister. Then continue to hold will spraying slip to cool from the outside. The rapid change in temp will make the film tack. 

The smoother the shrink the less likely to get peanuts.  If the film doesn't look pretty smooth if you pull it off the glass when you are done shrinking then you need to learn to move different or a better technique.

I don't hardly use my over under technique anymore as the windows aren't as curved.  Check it out though and see if you can pick something up. On my signature should be a link...

The cars with the bumpiest defroster lines get peanuts , like the Dodge Charger is really bad , old Lexus models get them bad, etc . It wastes a lot time getting them to stay down . I especially dislike when it’s the bottom defroster lines . Some cars are just made like crap . 

2 hours ago, Whyme said:

The cars with the bumpiest defroster lines get peanuts , like the Dodge Charger is really bad , old Lexus models get them bad, etc . It wastes a lot time getting them to stay down . I especially dislike when it’s the bottom defroster lines . Some cars are just made like crap . 

I don't get peanuts!  Maybe 10 total in the last 10 years. It'ss more about the shrink.

Thanks for the replies guys really appreciate it😊. I feel like the peanuts are in the shrink. I dry shrink and used a blue or black teflon card to sqeegee down, shrinking maybe couple of inches down and i go across the whole screen then back again. I also do a wet check shrink or just lift a few inch up on top and bottom and double snap it.i know a few tinters who use or have used Global QDP and have mentioned the peanut issue. One uses the QD single ply to aviod this issue. Am i shrinking wrong?

That issue should only be on Chargers, Chrysler 300 and Challengers, maybe a mustang here and there but should be minimal. Pay attention to the shrinking. Move slowly and try to flatten the film while shrinking plus do a light scrape on the defroster with a plastic blade.  As far as the film, SunGard back in 1999 came out with a "low pucker" film, it actually reduced the blisters on defroster lines.  Maybe try another brand just for fun? 

seen a vid on youtube where the guy explains that its a residue that is left on the defrosters for the chargers/challengers. he had a dawn ultra/ water solution and let them soak while he shrunk it. then he did a regular scrub and the film layd down good. 

On 8/25/2020 at 9:06 PM, Ryker said:

I don't get peanuts!  Maybe 10 total in the last 10 years. It'ss more about the shrink.

Likely because you don't stress the film during the shrink.

Peanuts have nothing to do with defrost lines however, defrost lines have something to do with peanuts; they provide the lift and channel for air to get beneath an area of the film that has been shrunk too fast. Heat source to hot or too close. You may see it more around climate change such as going from warm weather to cold or vice versa whereby you've have established an approach according to season and now must adjust that approach to change of season (even if indoors).