My windows are now.... very, very hot!

Guest nocalhomeowner

Guest metint

George...

Got to love your bravery for sticking in there... and here, for that matter.

Many pro's seem to get offended at DIY concepts for material reasons and may fail to see the spiritual side of doing something around the house. For instance, I have three rooms that needed wallpapering and a couple needing paint. Yes, I could call a pro, but I felt it was something well within my personal capabilities. So I have done them myself... they look good and I feel wonderful about my accomplishment. Do they look professionally done... no, but if you came to my home, I'm sure you wouldn't be there to critique my paint or wall paper skills.

Props to you for your efforts...

DIY film and Pro film markets are two very distinct markets with very little overlap... likened to the mastercard logo, if you will. If you look at the negative aspect of DIY film, you see consumer being turned off by an unsightly home or auto install and others are to immediately presume it was professionally done. If you look at the positive in DIY film, you find a consumer who acquires a better understanding of what a pro can do with the product and in some cases the consumer will seek the professional's services after many failed attempts of their own.

I've been in tinting since 1980 and have not ever felt threatened by a consumer such as yourself wanting to try the task themselves. Today, though, as cut throat as the industry has gotten both DIY and Professionally, I can understand the positions of some opinions portraited in this thread.

Next... I'll get a flaming because Gila films contributes to my income (by proxy) and this places metint in a biased light.

I see your cost saving analysis as a valid argument and have caught the fact that you may not be keeping the home until old and grey. Cheers!

Edited by metint

Guest nocalhomeowner

Thanks for the props. Appreciated.

I'm pretty much convinced that it is GILA for the rest of the windows in this house.

I'm not convinced that I won't go with something a little more high end, and professionaly installed, in the house I intend to build.

The "spiritual" side, is very much in play as we design the new house, even if not in play with respect to us doing the work ourselves.

Without this board, I may never have found:

http://www.enprodistributing.com/products/...tural/index.htm

which displays some pictures of the Lumisty line from Madico. I can see (in my mnd's eye) a staircase with a tempered/safety glass railing covered with Lumisty making it look like a big piece of etched glass. If we end up putting that in the new house that alone will make this foray worthwhile.

So, thanks to all.

Take care,

George

Guest TintPoser
I only thing I have to ad to this absurd thread is that the Madico specs are listed under the SPECS on the main menu. 

And mr homeowner, keep in mind that there two, I mean, a few on here that are just here to confuse people....  The gila film is working, it will make your home a whole lot cooler.  Yes there are better quality films out there with better preformance.  Your home, your call.

[*]290119

That's what I said :evilgrin

Guest nocalhomeowner

I guess the "appropriate" response to Tintposer's last comment is to: :thumb .

But I'm just 4|\|4L retentive enough to have reviewed each of your posts. And you know what? If your prior posts were intended to communicate what AliveandAwake is quoted as saying then one of two things is happening:

1) You speak a different language from me

2) You must have deleted that message where you said what AliveandAwake said.

Pity. I would have liked to have seen it. :shoot1

BTW, I owe an apology to TINT. It seems there is this guy on a DIY website that jumps up and down and, as a professional, tells everybody to install all of their tinting on the outside of the glass. Says he has been having this argument for 20 years with tinters and sticks to his guns that it should always be installed on the outside of the glass. He makes some cogent arguments about how the heat redcuction is maximized if the light never makes it through the first pane of a double paned window and that window damage caused by excessive heat is also minimized. Of course, he leaves off one very important fact: the manufacturers make this stuff to be installed on the inside, not the outside. It would be a totally different product if it were to be manufactured for outside installation. Nonetheless, it seems that TINT's comment about me possibly installing it on the outside of the glass was not as far fetched as I thought it was. My bad.

George

Guest Sprinter

quote: pser

First off... you can afford to live in northern cali, and you can't get the money to tint professionaly,......... on a 500,000 dollar house

Nothing sells a home like some DIY film on the glass. When done professionaly and properly, you will not ever know that a quality film was there.

just like my sister inlaw who could'nt get a spot off a widow in front of her kitchen sink and use a green hard scrubbie pad and scratch the tint that was on the house, then she wanted all the film removed cause she did'nt think she needed it on the house, on west facing windows across the back side of the house, I should of done the nices thing possible and kicked her in the head.......................................................some people..............!

funny thing is she DOES"NT drive a BMW !