My windows are now.... very, very hot!

Guest nocalhomeowner

Guest nocalhomeowner
I think the reason he doesn't want a professional install is he's paranoid about people being in his house.  =)

[*]291855

From the guy who wanted to email me and not post publicly? :spit

I think your paranoia undershirt is sticking out. :spit

George

Guest metint
In my opinion and GILA is shiat film and should be trashed!!!!

[*]291991

I could say that for a number of names out in the market place...

Gila gets the bull's eye because they are the most widely known DIY film... funny thing is that there are a lot of DIY films available out there, but since they command such a small percentage of the DIY market, they are not heard of as much... some are even from film makers in the professional side.

It has its place... whether on glass or in the trash... it all gets there sooner or later! (pardon the pun)

Guest nocalhomeowner
I was going to offer you some help, advice, and information that the other tinters here would poke fun at me for helping a DIYer.

[*]291928

Well, in that case, I guess I'll invite you over for dinner.

Seriously, if the old-timers here are going to flog you for helping a DIYer, then I came to the wrong place. I wouldn't want to deal with them anyway, either for advice, or when I hire a professional for the house I'm buillding.

I can understand that the pack mentality might preclude you from offering your help openly in the forum. Sad, really. But typical. That mentality is consistent with Tintposer's comment about "backyard red neck garbage". Of course, he was talking about the process, not the people performing the process. You have just confirmed that he was more right than he understands.

You guys can flame me all you want (and tintdude should probably delete this post), because it can certainly be said that I am not painting a complimentary picture of some (not all, though) of the posters in this thread.

George

Guest nocalhomeowner
george, after reading this thread, I just have a simple comment.  DIYers are ok by me but it never ends with just buying window film.  customers want to do it themselves but then want you to take a huge amount of time to explain to them how to complete the task.  it simply cannot work that way in small business.  time is the main thing we have to sell.  lowes and home depot will suit your needs quite well for your project.

[*]292994

Right. I appreciate that. I didn't come here looking for someone to take a lot of time providing guidance on how to install. I read the package and did my research and asked my questions of the personnel at the DIY store I bought the film from before embarking on that task. I came here looking for a short response indicating whether I was doing something bad. If I was, I would certainly look for guidance on how to choose a competent installer. I found out a whole bunch of good information, and for the time that people took to provide it or links to it I am truly appreciative.

Those who expect to increase sales of either themselves or the industry by badmouthing DIYers or DIY products without technical backup are just blowing smoke up their own.... wasting everybody's bandwidth and making the industry look bad.

I know it is not fair to tar the entire industry with the actions of the idiotic few, so *I* won't. But others might.

Thanks for the conclusion. I appreciate it.

Take care,

George

Guest TintPoser
I was going to offer you some help, advice, and information that the other tinters here would poke fun at me for helping a DIYer.

[*]291928

Seriously, if the old-timers here are going to flog you for helping a DIYer, then I came to the wrong place. I wouldn't want to deal with them anyway, either for advice, or when I hire a professional for the house I'm buillding.

I can understand that the pack mentality might preclude you from offering your help openly in the forum. Sad, really. But typical. That mentality is consistent with Tintposer's comment about "backyard red neck garbage". Of course, he was talking about the process, not the people performing the process. You have just confirmed that he was more right than he understands.

You guys can flame me all you want (and tintdude should probably delete this post), because it can certainly be said that I am not painting a complimentary picture of some (not all, though) of the posters in this thread.

George

[*]292991

No one here would have flogged him for helping you.

You want to know why many professionals get a bit peeved about this type of post?

This is board filled (probably 95%) with PROFESSIONALS. We get asked the "Home Depot Film" question just about every day. Most of the time it just wastes our time. When the question was asked here (By you), you got a response. Then you continued to explain your reasoning behind your choice. Had you done this to anyone of us on the phone, you would be talking to dial tone. Hands down, the stuff you get at the depot is crap. If that works for you, great. When it looks like junk, you eventually got what you paid for.

Having done this stuff for a LIVING for a little while, I (along with just about everyone on this board) will tell you that the DIY film may eventyally generate business for us, but in the short term, it generrally wastes our time. If we charged for our services like any other professional service provider, you would be paying $40 an hour, just to hear us speak.

Many of us use this board to better our business, and help other people.

You got your answer, Have a nice day.

:bingo

Edited by TintPoser