My windows are now.... very, very hot!

Guest nocalhomeowner

I might as well as chime is here

The film you used is silver. Silver is normally what is not used for residential installs.

There are reasons why we do not like that brand of film.

We had the wonderful experience is trying to installing it for someone. This is what we experienced.

One ply, extremely thin to work with.

Scratch resistant coating was almost non existant

With the tools we use to install our films, we removed the SR coating as well as the silver coating when we pressed out the water.

What was left was a freshly tinted window with a film that looked horrible. There were streaks, patches of clear, and distorted. Most importantly, I really was not impressed with the performance.

Now when you hear a person who makes a living installing window films speaking poorly about these products, you can see why. Many customers I talk to think these products are as good as what we install. That could be the farthest thing from the truth.

Guest TintPoser

The film you used is silver. Silver is normally what is not used for residential installs.

We had the wonderful experience is trying to installing it for someone. This is what we experienced.

With the tools we use to install our films, we removed the SR coating as well as the silver coating when we pressed out the water.

What was left was a freshly tinted window with a film that looked horrible. There were streaks, patches of clear, and distorted. Most importantly, I really was not impressed with the performance.

Now when you hear a person who makes a living installing window films speaking poorly about these products, you can see why. Many customers I talk to think these products are as good as what we install. That could be the farthest thing from the truth.

[*]293621

:thumbdown

Guest nocalhomeowner
We get asked the "Home Depot Film" question just about every day.  Most of the time it just wastes our time. 

Many of us use this board to better our business, and help other people.

Seems to me that if the question comes up every day, you would be well served to have a canned response available that does more than arm-flapping. I'm trying to say that in the most positive way I can think of. I really mean it. If the next time somebody asks one of you the question, you start your response with: "I'm glad you asked that question. Here are the reasons why you would be better served by abandoning your DIY project:...." you might just get what your after.

See my response to the next post.

George

Guest nocalhomeowner

[*]293621

Well, I'm not sure that everything you have said is damning with respect to the DIY films, but it is a very good start.

Do I have to actually write your marketing materials? <g, d & r>

George

Guest nocalhomeowner
so what has been your decision sir?

have you installed your film yet? :beer

[*]294253

On most of the existing house, yes. But as indicated before, I'm still gathering information for the yet to be built house.

Thanks

George

Guest nocalhomeowner
If you want the maximum heat protection and you have doubleglazed units you definitely should get an external film. :beer I can't believe it took so many replies until you have the only answer to that question.

[*]294278

I agree with you. I can't believe that this is the first mention of external films. I've been to Madico and other's websites and not seen anything that discusses external films. Did I just miss it?

I'd love to see the specs on some external film.

Still have a house to build in the near term future!

Thanks

George