Ford Rear View Mirror removal tool

Guest tankster

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest filmslayer
You're not holding you tongue right...

Pull that phucker sslooowly, not popped one yet....

happend to me once and a guy i worked with ....

that clips easy , slide small screw driver in slot and wiggle upward ....

I know, believe me, I have broken some really good stuff in my day.

Exploded the BG of a early body style Intrepid, trying to remove one of those plastic appliques from behind the rear door. The ones that always faded ...

I once had a screw driver in my hand while looking at the w/shield an broke it... :lol:thumb

It makes me clinch when I see a metal tool get near a w/shield. :dunno

Guest filmslayer
I know, believe me, I have broken some really good stuff in my day.

Exploded the BG of a early body style Intrepid, trying to remove one of those plastic appliques from behind the rear door. The ones that always faded ...

I once had a screw driver in my hand while looking at the w/shield an broke it... :lol:lol

It makes me clinch when I see a metal tool get near a w/shield. :dunno

yet you'll just reach up and snatch one off ... :thumb

Guest uameken

Hey Guys,

I see this is a pretty old post but not sure if anyone ever decided the "best" way to remove this style Ford mirror.  I have a 2014 F250 and the tint guy I used (first time I've ever used this guy) said he couldn't do it so now I have a slit between the mirror and top of the windshield.  I hate it - I have had at least 10 different vehicles done like this and never had this issue, the most recent was a 2010 F250 before this.  I have seen a lot of posts about the tool that goes in from the top and "rolling" it off the windshield where the pressure is actually on the mirror holder and not the glass.  Is that the proper tool for these??  I need to get the mirror off so that I can have the window re-tinted "properly"  Thanks for all the help!

e498774d-1f7b-49fb-9e42-7b001eb63c07_zps     67a19e03-d096-4a36-a039-215db2fd838d_zps     61575703-3947-4ae3-80b0-9808e7322ca1_zps

My advice would be to leave the mirror alone. I do auto glass replacement also and even I don't feel comfortable taking them off a windshield that's not already broken.

Even if you were to get it off, some are tricky to get back on properly. Some take a lot of force and if it's not on all the way then it will constantly rattle.

If you still feel the need to mess with it well there's good news. Once you break the glass just take it to a glass shop that does tinting as well and they'll slap it on your new windshield before they put the mirror on. Good luck!

Guest uameken

So, for $4.xx and some tax i purchased a 3/16" round long shank flathead at Home Depot used a little torch action and made a rearview mirror removal tool.  Worked like a charm! I was a little hesitant at first, but I have now removed and installed it twice just to test the fit of the tool after a little grinder modification to make it just right.  My only issue is as was discussed previously, now that I have sprung the mirror off, it's a little loose and vibrates.  It is pushed down and snapped into place completely, however I am curious if there is a way to squeeze the sides and tighten it up?  Any issues / successes/ pointers with that?

d64f1490-7514-4a37-97be-130a94f0b506_zps     IMG_3385_zpsd48e1184.jpg

Archived