Reasons to Keep it Legal

TintDude

found this on ehow a while back thought it might help you car tinters :dunno since I don't do them. I do get a lot calls about how to get it off when their ride won't pass inspection :dunno Step 2 and 3 seem pretty convincing to me

by eHow Cars Editor

RSS Feed

Introduction

Nothing makes a car, truck or SUV look sharper than sophisticated window tinting. Safety benefits include 99.9% UV protection, reduced sun and headlight glare and less shattered glass in accidents and break-ins. On the other hand, that cool tint job could mean a run-in with the law. Take a proactive look at federal, state and local regulations when shading your favorite set of wheels.

Instructions

Difficulty: Moderate

Steps

1Step OneCheck federal, state and local laws carefully before having window tinting applied to your vehicle. The U.S. Department of Transportation requires a basic 70% visible light transmission (VLT) on windshields and both front windows. This requirement is identified as FMVSS 205 on window tinting law charts and is the typical factory standard on new cars. However, the U.S. government has allowed each state to define their own window tint regulations which often allow darker shading. Some city governments and police departments also enforce their own local standards.

2Step TwoInvestigate compliance issues when purchasing a new vehicle with tinted windows, or when tinting windows as a consumer or installer. While it is possible to tint your own windows, it is far better to have them done professionally by a reputable, legal service center. Discuss state laws, certification and sticker requirements with the installer.

3Step ThreeLook into the laws throughout the 50 states if you intend to be traveling across state lines. State window tint laws vary greatly, and most states enforce their tinting laws with out-of-state drivers. Avoid an unpleasant ticket, an unexpected fine or an expensive fix-it order on your next vacation.

4Step FourUnderstand additional restrictions that may be written into your state window tint law. There may be exclusions on certain colors, restrictions on reflective tinting and a requirement for dual side mirrors on vehicles with darkened rear windows. Guidelines also vary according to vehicle type--passenger car or Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV), such as recreation, police or medical vehicles, buses, limousines or hearses.

5Step FiveTake the time to understand the terminology used on state window tint law charts. Most of these charts have an accompanying glossary that explains the abbreviations used and the proper way to read them. The charts will cover a variety of features, including acceptable tint grades, details for each window type, restrictions and exclusions, fines and implications for out-of-state drivers.

6Step SixApply for a medical exemption with your state's Department of Transportation if you have a physical condition that requires greater protection from the sun's rays. This often requires submitting a notarized affidavit signed by the driver and a physician.

7Step SevenResist the temptation to take a risk in window tinting without covering all the bases first. While helpful state window tint law charts can be found on the Internet, it is always best to ask your local or state police if in doubt. In some states police officers are allowed personal discretion in enforcing window tint violations due to risks they take in the line of duty in approaching darkened vehicle windows. Your local DMV and Rules of the Road booklet may also be helpful.

For some people it's hard to say no when the law isn't really enforced in that area, and every shop in town does !llegal work. Times like that you just don't make any money saying no. :thumb I'm glad I don't do many cars anymore.

Guest tint phantom
Good thread and idea..saves saying the same things al the time :lock

It only takes once to accidentally hit a child and you can't take it back and just say "oops" and fix your fender..the child doesnt get to have a say in your decision to go with dark tint on your front roll downs and/or windshield.

Who's to say the vehicle was going 10mph. over the speed limit Who's to say the child was'nt suppervised by an adult. Who's to say the driver intoxicated one form or fashion. Who's to say the driver was'nt paying attention because of a cell phone or droped cigarett or drink. The only reason they blame accidents on window tint is cause they can get away with it. The only reason they dont want it dark is so there officers can see in the vehicle and thats the ONLY reason, to keep dark tint at bay people will lie to get there way, or place the reason elswhere, like the bush amenastration said that IRAK had weapons of mass destruction. nothing but a smoke screen to get people to follow his idea's. :beer

Guest tint phantom

Is it a federal law govern by state? If it is,why not make the law cross the board nation wide no darker than 35% all the way . most states are that way already. The best agreements made is when both sides compromise. LEGALIZE THAT SHI-TINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest irishhanks2

I know its wrong but I have tinted the front two on an suv to match factory glass Which is about 20% But I will not tint a car darker then legal. :thumb I belive we are all guilty of this.