competing against a distributor/tint shop

Guest teamfutaba

Guest Bulldog
Do you think these guys are really going to tell you the truth out here? What are you going to do when you find out there all lying?

Good question... my answer is that I will take my business elsewhere. I already have with some of them and I will continue to seek out companies that do not compete against me. If some of these companies are not being truthful it will only be a matter of time before they are caught red-handed in a lie and they will have to reap what they have sowed. For the others I think that this is a great marketing opportunity to show potential customers that you are not a competitor. There are many dealers that will be attending SEMA next week and perhaps this could save them some walking if they are looking for suppliers that will partner rather than compete against them? This old way of doing business in this industry does not help the dealers in tough economic times. It needs to change and there are plenty of new players out there that are bringing new business models to the table.

It would be nice if the companies that are out their competing against their dealers would post their reasoning on it. They are looking for new business but you can't start that by lying to your customers or by just keeping silent and hopes that we'll all just accept it for what it is. We should all refuse too and make reps answer questions regarding their company' practices. If they choose to give us the runaround then let's take our business elsewhere.

I blogged my thoughts on this problem complete with the excuses that I was given from reps over the years when I asked them why there company is supplying and competing against me at the same time.

V<

The list is shorter if we put one together of the manny's/distributors that dont practice this. In fact, probably VERY short!!!!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:poke Thanks willie!

I would love to hear from either Alan Bray, Bob Smarr, Darrel Smith, Tom Niziolek or any other Madico representative on the ideology behind competing against their own customers and the rest of us for that matter at either a Distributor's discount level or even a MFG's price point. Willie is right, and it is no secret that they bid on the same jobs that we do. :lol2

No problem vdiddy :lol2 Just want to be perfectly clear I have no problem with Tint Junkie at all

:lol2 That aint gonna happen about Madico, I thought it was strict company policy that there employees cant join or participate here.

Guest vclimber
:lol2 Thanks willie!

I would love to hear from either Alan Bray, Bob Smarr, Darrel Smith, Tom Niziolek or any other Madico representative on the ideology behind competing against their own customers and the rest of us for that matter at either a Distributor's discount level or even a MFG's price point. Willie is right, and it is no secret that they bid on the same jobs that we do. :poke

No problem vdiddy :lol2 Just want to be perfectly clear I have no problem with Tint Junkie at all

:lol2 That aint gonna happen about Madico, I thought it was strict company policy that there employees cant join or participate here.

Then maybe I should write the IWFA for a comment... :lol2

I hear ya though, I have no issue with TJ either, glad he posted. Why would dealers want to protect the suppliers that are competing against them? :lol2

No, the sales guy I deal with that sells based on what our dealers get the film for. I see what you are saying, and I personally have not heard of that happening there, and Im close with everyone at that branch. Enpro has done a lot of things for me to ensure that I succeed, as they have done for others.

So if I understand what you are saying, they are selling at retail and collecting on the film sales portion of the job? If so, then I'd assume their dealers are contracted out for the install?

Yes, they dont have people at the dist to do any installs. All are contracted out, but we still do it using our name.

Not upset about it all Junkie was just trying to get my buddy VClimbers questioned answered. Thanks for your honesty.This is one of the reasons I dont trade with Enpro in Grand Prarie because of the mere fact that the last time they sent a rep to my area he left straight from my shop and tried to set up a dealer that Ive done business with since 1989 with a plotter and film. In my opinion and my opinion only and this does not reflect the views of the owner of this board Madico is the biggest backstabbing company there is in the business and I dont care for there film anyways. :lol2

Thaks for the answer Tint Junkie and Im glad its working for you :poke

The only thing I dislike about madico, is they have the worst warranty in the industry. I think they only cover up to $1000. I know my dist tries to keep their dealers spread out to avoid conflicts, and I have heard bad things as well about them. But I have tons of respect for them because one of their reps came to a dealership I was working at 9 years ago to teach me how to tint. I have never looked back, and I simply can't see myself doing anything else. I am certainly not able to have a desk job, just couldn't do it. I'm upset that they did that to you willie b/c I want to believe the people around me are honest.

Guest vclimber
Yes, they dont have people at the dist to do any installs. All are contracted out, but we still do it using our name.

That's so because otherwise they would have to be licensed...

Guest metro jim

Well here is a little home work for every one that would like to know the truth, you can find out for yourself. Search out and go to every bid meeting involving window film, even if these large commercial jobs are not what you are after. At these meetings you will see reps from all the companies that go over, around, or even through you! They made be surprised you are there. On occasion you may see a real neiborhood competitor these "representing" for shady tint mfg. You will know this because he will be refered to by Mr custy and the board as shady tint mfg and not by local joes tint shack. Hes the guy that will get the actual work or at least part of it. You will also know these Companies when you get arcitect specs for jobs, and want you to bid on them, you will not get the job, because they are just checking to make sure they are not getting hosed by Shady mfg. Shady mfg will tell you that they are just marketing the product for you but why would they waste money marketing in an area that does not create leads for you, you are the dealer right? How many jobs have you gotten through an arcitect? (I am not talking about the 5 man arcitect firm either). You can also find mr shadys mfg company at your local trade shows all the time. They are not marketing to you? Were you invited to help? Will you get leads from this? The answer is there, you don't need to ask, but if you really need to know the truth, you really need to believe that that don't compete with you, there is one ultimate test.........................yes......................the one and only truth test of tests...................no lame excuses.................the truth.......................Have your lawyer draw up a contract stating your company terittory the work you do a financial difference of interest with a MFG/Dist competition at the end user/ custy level and have them (the MFG/Dist) signing a non compete clause ect ect. if they will not sign it, then the truth is discovered. a small price for the lawyer can secure your interests if this problem is an issue for you. I have given up on hope for a change, but a few companies (I say few) are true blue on your side, they know if you succed they do too

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT BY THE WAY

Guest Texstar
Sorry Guys, I was out of the office on Thursday and Friday.

Valuetint.com does NOT have a flat glass crew. We have a web based delivery system that markets only Auto Films and if you think at 52

years old that I'm going to crawl in the back seat of someones car then you are certifiably insane! I don't even do my own car.

My Wife and her Sister install FG in the Tulsa area and the film is purchased directly from the same Distributors that many of you guys

use. It has nothing to do with Valuetint.com.

I consider it a conflict of interest for Valuetint to compete against it's own customers.

If the windows have rubber gaskets you can just shove tooth picks under the gasket and it will hold the film down until it cures to the glass.

Great idea! we used to use a little scotch tape in the upper corners.

Im confused, you are or arent in the flat glass business :evileye

Guest vclimber
Well here is a little home work for every one that would like to know the truth, you can find out for yourself. Search out and go to every bid meeting involving window film, even if these large commercial jobs are not what you are after. At these meetings you will see reps from all the companies that go over, around, or even through you! They made be surprised you are there. On occasion you may see a real neiborhood competitor these "representing" for shady tint mfg. You will know this because he will be refered to by Mr custy and the board as shady tint mfg and not by local joes tint shack. Hes the guy that will get the actual work or at least part of it. You will also know these Companies when you get arcitect specs for jobs, and want you to bid on them, you will not get the job, because they are just checking to make sure they are not getting hosed by Shady mfg. Shady mfg will tell you that they are just marketing the product for you but why would they waste money marketing in an area that does not create leads for you, you are the dealer right? How many jobs have you gotten through an arcitect? (I am not talking about the 5 man arcitect firm either). You can also find mr shadys mfg company at your local trade shows all the time. They are not marketing to you? Were you invited to help? Will you get leads from this? The answer is there, you don't need to ask, but if you really need to know the truth, you really need to believe that that don't compete with you, there is one ultimate test.........................yes......................the one and only truth test of tests...................no lame excuses.................the truth.......................Have your lawyer draw up a contract stating your company terittory the work you do a financial difference of interest with a MFG/Dist competition at the end user/ custy level and have them (the MFG/Dist) signing a non compete clause ect ect. if they will not sign it, then the truth is discovered. a small price for the lawyer can secure your interests if this problem is an issue for you. I have given up on hope for a change, but a few companies (I say few) are true blue on your side, they know if you succed they do too

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT BY THE WAY

:evileye

Check the bid sign in sheet too. Walk-thru's are usually mandatory and everyone has to sign in.

:hmmm I can't figure out why everyone is not trying to ween themselves off of competing suppliers? :lol

Guest Texstar

Well you guys I got bored today and with wetintcars showing his azz on the solomatrix rumor thread I did some google searching.

One thing that really interest me is this thread. I did some research on some of those companies selling film that posted that they werent into bidding or wouldnt bid against people

buying film from them.

I guess this question is for Mark Reynolds at valuetint.com. Is Architectural Window Tint LLC a compnay that you serve as a registered agent for which in turn is

located at the same address with the same phone number as value tint.com a matter of public record a company bidding commercial jobs :evileye

Archived