competing against a distributor/tint shop

Guest teamfutaba

Guest vclimber
Not exactly sure what the secret is if you say you've posted it before..... but your website shows you use Madico.

And there is only one distributor in Houston that sells it. Enpro

:twocents I would love to hear what their business practice in their own words. I already know but it would be good to hear it from them.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I went out on my own, I worked for my distributors biggest dealer. They were always working deals together. I have done three jobs because of my distributor. Is that wrong of me, or them, or both of us?

I wish I would have kept my mouth shut about this.

Im not getting any kick backs from them because my wife works there either. I still cannot carry certain lines of Madico films. Aren't distributors supposed to looking out for their dealers? /when someone calls them, they give a list of dealers who can help them. In some cases, the sales team sells jobs on behalf of of the dist, which is then contracted out to their dealers. Is it wrong?

Before I went out on my own, I worked for my distributors biggest dealer. They were always working deals together. I have done three jobs because of Enpro. Is that wrong of me, or them, or both of us?

No, it isn't wrong... depending on how it's handled.

The issue comes when a dist. is going after work using way lower numbers for film then what their own dealers pay. So if you dist. puts in a bid at XYZ Company... and in their bid amount they are, for example, 'getting' the film for $0.xx a sq/ft... they sell the job for such a low amount... and then either install themselves or farm it out.. When ABC Tinting company is charged $x.xx a sq/ft for that same film....and put in a bid for that same job but with a higher overall amount due to their costs, how can they compete when the numbers are not even across the board for all players??

No, the sales guy I deal with that sells based on what our dealers get the film for. I see what you are saying, and I personally have not heard of that happening there, and Im close with everyone at that branch. They have done a lot of things for me to ensure that I succeed, as they have done for others.

Before I went out on my own, I worked for my distributors biggest dealer. They were always working deals together. I have done three jobs because of Enpro. Is that wrong of me, or them, or both of us?

No, it isn't wrong... depending on how it's handled.

The issue comes when a dist. is going after work using way lower numbers for film then what their own dealers pay. So if you dist. puts in a bid at XYZ Company... and in their bid amount they are, for example, 'getting' the film for $x.xx a sq/ft... they sell the job for such a low amount... and then either install themselves or farm it out.. When ABC Tinting company is charged $x.xx a sq/ft for that same film....and put in a bid for that same job but with a higher overall amount due to their costs, how can they compete when the numbers are not even across the board for all players??

careful with the prices there guys! :twocents

Guest vclimber
No, the sales guy I deal with that sells based on what our dealers get the film for. I see what you are saying, and I personally have not heard of that happening there, and Im close with everyone at that branch. Enpro has done a lot of things for me to ensure that I succeed, as they have done for others.

So if I understand what you are saying, they are selling at retail and collecting on the film sales portion of the job? If so, then I'd assume their dealers are contracted out for the install?

Aren't distributors supposed to looking out for their dealers? /when someone calls them, they give a list of dealers who can help them...... Is it wrong?

I ment to comment on that but I was kindof in a hurry... but yes, they are supposed to look out for their dealers. And my rep has called me with contacts for jobs in my area several times, which I am very grateful for. I wish more dealers would do that... there are some that I never ever hear from unless I call them to order something. They don't seem to care how my business is doing, or if there is anything can they do to help me grow my business. Which would be a win-win situation for both film company and dealers both.

So if he basically sells the job for you, are you just being paid to install the film? If you have to purchase the film, are you getting a discount that other dealers that use your film wouldn't get?

Yes I do have to buy the film, and no I don't a discount on the film either, but, I am sorta buddy buddy with a sales guy there. Occasionally he gets a call from someone wanting window film and he goes out to sell it. If it's not a huge job, he gives it to me. If it is a huge job, it goes to another company here in Houston that is their biggest dealer. I don't have a lot of insurance coverage so I can't do some of them. The only way I know of getting a discount is if you are buying lots of film or if you simply ask. However, on some things I can get a discount, like tools, rarely film.

I'd still like to know who. Theres 3 distributors Ive bought from in Houston and I personally still think thats a conflict of interest :lol2

Come on tinjunkie don't stop there, answer willie's question. This is what the thread is all about. :hide

I can see your point of conflict of interest, but it's not like the guy is keeping me in buisiness. I won't say the name of the distributor, and if you did a little research you would find out who it is. I have been with this particular distributor for 9 years and the same people still work there. I have posted my distributor on this site before, and from previous topics, you can find what film I use. Sorry for dodging the question, but Im not looking to get in the middle of anything, especially when Willie seems upset about it.

Not upset about it all Junkie was just trying to get my buddy VClimbers questioned answered. Thanks for your honesty.This is one of the reasons I dont trade with Enpro in Grand Prarie because of the mere fact that the last time they sent a rep to my area he left straight from my shop and tried to set up a dealer that Ive done business with since 1989 with a plotter and film. In my opinion and my opinion only and this does not reflect the views of the owner of this board Madico is the biggest backstabbing company there is in the business and I dont care for there film anyways. :thumb

Thaks for the answer Tint Junkie and Im glad its working for you :thumb

Guest vclimber

:thumb Thanks willie!

I would love to hear from either Alan Bray, Bob Smarr, Darrel Smith, Tom Niziolek or any other Madico representative on the ideology behind competing against their own customers and the rest of us for that matter at either a Distributor's discount level or even a MFG's price point. Willie is right, and it is no secret that they bid on the same jobs that we do. :thumb

Archived