realistic warranties!

I always try and be honest with my customers and they appreciate that. I know it would be stupid to fofer a 5 year warranty and compete with lifetime warranty, i mean your product seems inferior!

I found this on a facebook page from a supplier in another country, same film just different warranty for their market.

im just dreading the day that warranties  start to come in, ive been operating for 5 years now so its going to happen soon i think and film credit for r&r sucks as we all know some r&r's can take the better part of a day

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tell people the film comes with a lifetime warranty but that only covers the period you own the car. Most people do not own a car longer then 5-7 years anymore.

The warranty paper work says it non transferable anyways. The Manufactors don't expect people to own the car that long. That's why they offer it

I always try and be honest with my customers and they appreciate that. I know it would be stupid to fofer a 5 year warranty and compete with lifetime warranty, i mean your product seems inferior!

I found this on a facebook page from a supplier in another country, same film just different warranty for their market.

im just dreading the day that warranties  start to come in, ive been operating for 5 years now so its going to happen soon i think and film credit for r&r sucks as we all know some r&r's can take the better part of a day

Hey Mates,

If you didn't complete your warranty forms correctly, or if you haven't got the original invoice, or if the film is not within the legal limits, you won't be getting any sympathy from your current supplier. Just ask them..

It would be a very brave move for someone to go alone and make a blanket change to the silly warranty situation we have now. It would need to be something that our respective associations would need to try and enforce across the board. It ain't going to happen any time soon.

Cheers

Hi GTS,

Regrettably - I happen to agree with you.  I hold out very little hope that the industry will collectively come to its senses about this issue.

If you review many of the posts on this topic, it's clear that a lot of people have a very healthy and realistic view about it.  Window film is just not going to last forever.  But an equal number of people will interpret any reduction in the warranty term to be a lack of confidence by the manufacturer, which could hurt sales.  Window film is an ultra-competitive business and nobody wants to be "the first" one to take the plunge.

Hi to "The Owl".

Regards,

Howard

going from a lifetime warranty to a 5-7 year warranty would backtrack you, while everyone else using any time of film will advertise a lifetime warranty, you doing the opposite will stop customers coming in thru the door, and as an industry doing that will make our industry seem not as advanced as most manufacturers make appear to currently be. 

I tell people the film comes with a lifetime warranty but that only covers the period you own the car. Most people do not own a car longer then 5-7 years anymore.

The warranty paper work says it non transferable anyways. The Manufactors don't expect people to own the car that long. That's why they offer it

That's exactly how I handle warranties. I tell them it's good as long as they own the car. This may bite me some day, but I trust the film and NEVER fill out warranty cards. I give them an invoice which details the limited 'lifetime' warranty.

Before I knew any better... I hung NR Charcoal from SG for 4-5 years.... Possibly put 2,000+ out there in those first years. Only ever had to re-tint 5 purple bubbled b/g's. People generally move in and out of cars quick enough. I'm glad I moved on from that, now I shouldn't ever see a comeback.

That's exactly how I handle warranties. I tell them it's good as long as they own the car. This may bite me some day, but I trust the film and NEVER fill out warranty cards. I give them an invoice which details the limited 'lifetime' warranty.
:bingo

The collective time I've saved not filling out a card for every vehicle I've ever done since I work solo, I could redo 1 car per 100 cards I don't fill out. Needless to say the math as fallen greatly in my favor over the years or i wouldn't lol at it that way :lol

Exact has a point; coming back to bite. Think about it, people are holding onto their cars longer these days due to sloooow economic recovery and lost net worth from the crash of 08/09. It would really payoff for all parties to have a trusted film under warranty today.

FWIW, If I had a shop in a southern climate, ...every car/owner would receive a warranty card. I had the luxury of tinting in the North East where we get 4 months of sun a year. Almost any film will. Last 7 years. If I had to guess at the number of redos I had to do because of film failure over the years. Maybe....maybe. 15/20. Gong back to 1986 was Madico, then to JWF for a few years and then to SunGard for a good many years. On occasion, I will see a 95-98 Dodge Caravan with a dealer sticker of it where we had the account. I'm certain that I tinted it when it was new. By now the film has bubbled and looks really bad, Probably not as big a concern to the car owner as the duct tape holding the rear hatch on, or the ever creeping rust from the rockers to the bottom of the door glass.

Archived