Pulling door panels or leave it on??

Yeah I converted over to pulling panels on most cars. Some I don't bother with, totally depends on my mood and/or the car. 

As I remember a couple years back TintWizard said something to the effect, "it's just another tool in your toolbox. Not something you have to use, but if the situation calls for it you know it's always there." 

.....although in true TW eloquence, I'm sure he worded it much mo' betta den me's.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can most vehicles without panel removal, but I will remove them if I'm going to have to fight tucking the film, which results in a bunch of creases and/or contamination at the lower seal.  Also, if its going to be a huge stress, its best to pull. Basically if the install isn't quick and easy...just pull it for time saved, better install and less stress.

Sometimes you got to make the choice to either take 1.5 minutes to remove the panel for a near perfect install or get that lil' chiseler out for 5 minutes and work out imperfections and still end up with a less quality job.  

I pull almost all the seals. Found the quality and speed of the install justify this. If I can't pull just the seal then I pop the panel. Most cars = easy but the few newer ones...new style chargers & 300's have a tricky thing going on now. Practice and reps = easier and easier. I know i just repeated what most are saying just dropping in my 2cents.

As a former car audio installer of 13 years, I'm very comfortable pulling panels. I don't on every car because it's just not necessary. It usually only takes and additional 10 minutes for removal and reinstall of the entire car, so figure out how much extra time it will take to fight the seals if you don't remove them and judge for yourself. I'd also like to add that if you've NEVER pulled a panel, you'd better start learning how. Some cars cannot be done with any kind of quality without removing them. Example, I just finished a new Focus this morning. Fight those front doors for 30 minutes and still not get the quality you want. Then tell me if it's not worth spending ten minutes and not have to worry about the hassle and headache.

new style chargers & 300's have a tricky thing going on now.

:yep

Hate those doors. Very poor design imo. Panels come off easy enough but getting the seals to fit back on right can be a headache. :facepalm2

Take the sweep off the door, put the sweep on, then just pop the panel back on.  Not that hard really. :dunno

new style chargers & 300's have a tricky thing going on now.

:yep

Hate those doors. Very poor design imo. Panels come off easy enough but getting the seals to fit back on right can be a headache. :facepalm2

Take the sweep off the door, put the sweep on, then just pop the panel back on. Not that hard really. :dunno

Right that's how i do it. But at times they can be a pain to pull off the panel as they just don't pull off but you have to unhook them a certain way. Just much more time consumming for me than the typical door.

Archived